[Ansteorra] Congratulations to our new heirs, Their Royal Highnesses, Prince Sven and Princess Antigone

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 13 18:44:15 PST 2014

>> Vivant! Vivant! Vivant! Vivant!

>(Side explanation for those what don't know the Latin: "vivant" is the
>Latin plural of "vivat", appropriate for two or more subjects, ... as for
>example up above.  Other examples: "For the cooks, vivant!" or "For
>the children of the shire, vivant!")
>
>(To digress more, a single group counts as singular, which is why we
>shout "Vivat Ansteorra!", because Ansteorra is unique and singular,
>regardless of the many people who make up Ansteorra.)
>
> (I thought we only go up to 3 viva*ts?)

That is technically correct. Three is all the King or Queen of England gets at Coronation.
Students of Westminster School have the long-established right to sing "Vivat Regina! Vivat Regina Elizabetha! Vivat! Vivat! Vivat!” when she enters Westminster Abbey, which they sang most recently last year at her Coronation 60th year Anniversary service. You can hear them doing so in this video, at 18:30 or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU1rZX0wkYg

But some Ansteorran heralds have been giving four viva*ts for things higher than the peerage lately, and I followed suit.

In retrospect, I have no idea why I gave in to popular usage whilst simultaneously being pedantically precise on the Latin grammar.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin