[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium article for October 2014

Stefan li Rous via Ansteorra ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
Sun Oct 12 22:10:41 PDT 2014

Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

For those of you wanting an easier way to see everything is in the Florilegium, all 2500+ files, without paging through subsection after subsection, you can now do so by looking at or downloading the filelist-list. I have just uploaded the newest version of this file.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're already sent something, but haven't heard back from me, please feel free to email me again. Possibly I didn't get it or I'm waiting for additional permissions or for answers to some questions or even simply having trouble with the original article format.

If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.

I am also looking for a few volunteers to help with the Florilegium article postings.
I need a backup representative for the Drachenwald mail list for when my first representative, Alasdair is out of town.

Because of mail list problems, I can read the Yahoo NEWCOMERS list, but not post to it. I would like a volunteer who would forward my occasional posts to that list.

While my intent is to post to all kingdom lists, it is possible that this isn’t happening. If you are aware of this posting, but have not seen it on your kingdom list, please let me know. Also if you are on another list where this article doesn’t appear, but you think it would be appreciated, please contact me.

Thanks,
Stefan
————
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-five years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

For those who would like to see a complete listing of the files in the Florilegium, without paging through subsection after subsection, I have just updated the filelist. Just click on the filelist-list at the top of any section. You can also download this in RTF format and print it out, but be aware that it is now about 60 pages long.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

THLord Stefan li Rous    Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CRAFTS section:
   LWax-casting-msg    Lost wax casting of metals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/LWax-casting-msg.html
   pyrography-msg      Burning designs into wood. Pyrography.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/pyrography-msg.html
In the FEASTS section:
   p-fst-servng-msg    Comments on how feasts were served in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/p-fst-serving-msg.html
In the PENNSIC section:
   P-showers-msg       Info on the showers at Pennsic.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-showers-msg.html
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
   Poetry-14-15C-bib   Links to late 14th and early 15th Century poets and poetry by Deirdre O'Bardon.
http://florilegium.org/html/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/Poetry-14-15C-bib.html
In the PERSONAS section:
   Per-Scotland-art    "Scotland: an overview for the persona-challenged" by Hector of the Black Height.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Per-Scotland-art.html
In the STRUCTURES section:
   Pav-Decoratg-art    "Decorating Your Pavilion" by mistress katherine kerr.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/Pav-Decoratg-art.html

Updated files:
   capers-msg          Use of capers in medieval food.
   casting-msg         Casting pewter and other metals.
   cl-Anglo-Saxn-msg   Clothing of the Anglo-Saxons.
   fd-Italy-msg        Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
   Ireland-msg         Irish culture, dress. Points of interest.
   porridges-msg       Period porridges and gruels.
   p-street-food-msg   Period street food.
   SCA-romance-msg     SCA romances and meeting SOs in the SCA.
   Scotch-Eggs-msg     Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.
   underwear-msg       What to wear under garb. SCA and period.
   vanilla-msg         The vanilla bean in late-period Europe.
----
Copyright 2014, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris