[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium files article for December 2016

Stefan li Rous via Ansteorra ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
Sat Dec 17 21:22:34 PST 2016

A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-seven years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles whose authors have given me permission to publish. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

If you see someone's A&S documentation or perhaps an article in a local newsletter that you think deserves a wider audience, please let me know. I won't publish anything without the author's permission, but many authors are too reserved to send me their articles on their own.

THLord Stefan li Rous    Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
14C-Fashion-art   "An Age of Change: Examining 14th century Fashion" by Duchess Aislinn Morcroft.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/14C-Fashion-art.html
In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
Murri-Project-art  "The Murri Project - Making and comparing Middle Eastern Condiments with the same name" by Mistress Adrianna Stothard.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/Murri-Project-art.html
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
Blood-Cake-art     "Blood Cake for Halloween!" by Baroness Lucia de Enzinas.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Blood-Cake-art.html
In the HERALDRY section:
Irish-Names-art   "The Irish Can't Spell (and the English Can't Read) - Pronouncing Irish names with a minimum of mangling" by Mistress Adelaide de Beaumont.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/Irish-Names-art.html
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
Hist-Masques-art   "A Brief History of Masques" by Meisterin Felicity Flußmullnerin.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/Hist-Masques-art.html
In the PLANTS, HERBNS AND SPICES section:
Laurel-Bay-art    "Laurel, Bay and Gale" by Mistress Agnes deLanvallei.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/Laurel-Bay-art.html
In the TECHNOLOGY section:
Curious-Adv-art   "Don't Try This at Home: Curious Adventures in Mediaeval Science and Technology" by Lord Ælfred se leof.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TECHNOLOGY/Curious-Adv-art.html

Updated files:
clothing-MN-msg    Maternity and nursing garb.
mincemeat-pie-msg  Period mincemeat pies. Recipes.
pomegranates-msg   Pomegranate fruit, juice and seeds.
puddings-msg       Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
shrimp-msg         Medieval shrimp recipes.
slings-msg         Slings as weapons. combat and hunting.

While there are a few Yule related files in the updated files above, here are a few more suggestions.
caudles-art       A medieval drink of warm wine or beer thickened with eggs by Tibor.
Mkng-Med-Toys-art "Medieval Toys You Can Make" by Aelflaed of the Weald (now Dame Joan Sutton).
Sugarplums-art    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
The-Yule-Log-art  "The Yule Log" by Lady Katharine of Caithness.
wassail-msg       Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
Yule-msg          Yule celebrations.
Yule-Gifting-art  "Christmas Gifting" by mistress katherine kerr. Gift ideas for the SCA.
----
Copyright 2016, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris