[Ansteorra] Event Steward's Guide to DEI

Inclusion, Diversity, Equality Deputy Seneschal diversity at seneschal.ansteorra.org
Thu Mar 5 08:03:42 PST 2020

Greetings again to you all.  I hope this second missive also finds you
well.  I wanted to provide some information I created, as a guide, to Event
Stewards, related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.

I qualify this with the following: these are not rules.  They are not
expectations.  They are NOT what MUST be done.  This is only something for
Event Stewards to think about, as they and their teams plan our amazing
events.  I am glad to send an attachment to you, should you like it, and
will paste the text below to ensure that everyone can access it.

The following guide will hopefully help event stewards, as they prepare for
events.  This, of course, will not be an exhaustive list of things to
consider, but a primer on some of the issues that may come up, and ways to,
hopefully, plan ahead.

The job of an event steward is massive, and one that often requires a
person to be pulled in multiple directions, leading to the first successful
practice.

·      If able, assign someone on your event staff to assist with
Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity (DEI) related issues.

·      This person would work in tandem with the rest of the event staff,
with an eye toward accessibility for differently-abled members, as well as
ensuring that event announcements are fully inclusive.

·      Encourage the assigned person to be patient, honest, and responsive.

·      When setting up an event site, remember that it may not be possible
for members with mobility issues to access certain parts of the site.  If
possible, avoid those areas so that all members can access and enjoy the
event.

·      All members deserve comparable access to vendors and event
activities, when possible.

·      It may not be possible to make all parts of a site accessible, but
try to be flexible and to so when able.

·      When possible, have a team of volunteers to help those who need help
unloading their vehicle, carrying belongings, and/or setting up/breaking
down camp.

·      You might be able to get a household or other group to sponsor this.

·      Where possible, ensure that event announcements avoid the use of
jpegs or pdfs, which some screen readers may not be able to read.

·      For instance, posting an image of text to the Kingdom Facebook page
may not be readable by screen readers.

·      Type out the text in an event announcement, bettering the chances
that a screen reader can read it.

·      Make sure there are copies of event schedules and information
available at gate that avoid grey scale or tiny font sizes.  This can be
very difficult for a person with visual impairments to read.

·      Black and white copies are easier to read.

·      Large print copies available at gate helps too.

·      Discuss the site in event advertisements, especially explaining how
far away parking will be, if elevators are available for indoor sites, or
what the terrain of the site is like.  This gives those who have mobility
needs a head’s up and gives them a chance to plan accordingly.

·      Use gender neutral language in event publications.

·      While using “Lords and Ladies” may seem okay, it’s best to use
language that is more inclusive.

·      Replace “Lords and Ladies” with “good gentles all” or “fellow
Ansteorrans.”

·      Remind and encourage site heralds to do this also.

·      Work with your seneschal.  Mistakes will happen, but working
together to ensure that an event is accessible and inclusive can make a
world of difference to someone.

·      If someone comes to you and is upset, stay calm and listen.

·      If the situation warrants, involve the seneschal, and if needs be,
call the proper authorities.

·      When working with event staff and volunteers remind them to always
strive for inclusivity and accessibility.

·      Every little bit helps.  Strive to ensure that a site is accessible,
where possible; that event marketing materials are accessible and use
gender neutral language; and remember to create an environment that is
inclusive and welcoming.

·      Remind event staff/volunteers to avoid being too anxious or
protective; people will generally let you know what is needed.

·      Be patient!  Some members of our SCA family may need some extra time
or feel anxious about how welcoming an event is.

·      Be supportive of your event staff/volunteers, as well as those
attending the event.

·      If someone has felt unwelcome, and you know members of your populace
are capable and able to talk to that person, connect them.

·      Ask yourself and your event staff to consider these questions.

·      What is the experience for individuals who are the minority within
the organization?

·      What barriers stand in the way of people with marginalized
identities feeling a sense of welcome and belonging?

--
René Damours, OL, WSA
Kingdom Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer