ARCH - An Ideal (was: Greater Unity)

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Wed Apr 5 17:11:05 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Galen of Bristol <pmitchel at flash.net>
To: ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org <ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 05, 2000 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: ARCH - An Ideal (was: Greater Unity)

>Did I miss a post?  Gilli, I'm not clear what you're answering here...
>
>> Greetings and Hi There,
>>
>> There is just one small thing here.  I don't want  it to be veiwed as a
>WSA.
>> The only simularity between a KAA and the WSA is the fact they are both
>the
>> highest award  for that endeveror.  Other than that, the simularities
>stop.
>
>OK, this is in reply to Timothy I think.  I tend to agree with this point.
>
>> It was not designed to be equvelant.  It's not the same level.  It's not
>> given out in the same way.
>
>Agree again.
>
>> It was produced with the "goal" of it being a stepping stone to the AoA
>> level Archer award, which whould be a stepping stone to the Grant level
>> award.
>
>I don't agree there should be an AoA-level archery award, although a
>grant-level award wouldn't hurt my feelings.  I don't think the time for
>that is nigh, yet.
>
>> Three things here.
>>
>> 1).  If in fact there is a next one, and it requires more effort than
>myself
>> and alot of other folks have been doing, you might as well put a bunch of
>us
>> in a closed box covered with dirt because we'll not survive it.
>>
>> 2).  I can not allow something that I can do something about go undone.
>
>Now, Gilli, I'm sure I must be reading these two wrong.  Because what
>I'm getting from 1&2 above is arrogance.  I've never thought  of you as
>arrogant.

No arrogances intented.  Just simple fact.  Right now I have 103+ temp,
again just a fact and not a fishing trip.

>On the other hand, it's a _very_ short list of active people whose
>contributions
>in the field of archery matches yours, as I'm sure you'll agree.  Imagine
>for a
>moment that we did create some "Award of the Sable Fletch" or somesuch,
>and give it to you.  Is your achievement the standard?

Oh my god!  I hope not!!  I would hope that the standard be based on what
that person is capable of doing relavant to the factors in their life.  In
my case  what  I've done might be judged to be my standard.  Some one once
told me, "Every one can't be a Gilli all the time."  Guess what folks?
Neither can Gilli!!!  When I think I've done all I can, I always come up
with something  else (which just scares the Hell out of Darcy!!).  The day I
can't think of something else I can do or sponsor for archery, then I'll
have met "my" standard.

>Or do we also give
>the award to others who haven't done as much as you?  Or who aren't still
>active?  It's like calibrating blows.  Don't answer this question, but what
>level of achievement is the _lowest_ at which new honors are called for to
>recognize?
>
>I submit that if that level is only a handful of hardworkers, that's too
>few.
>And I think we all know who that handful is, and are no less grateful to
>them
>than if they had another award.

Sound like we got the start of a polling order.  :)

>I suggest it's not time for a new archery award not because Gilli and three
>or four others haven't done enough, but because there aren't enough like
>them.  Perhaps with new goals like "Royal Huntsman" and what I hope to
>achieve with the Archer Defender of Elfsea, more people will find increased
>participation in archery more rewarding.

I just feel that the award will be dangled out there like a carrot.  Do the
work and maybe you might get some.  I'd much rather strut my stuff pulling
the cart.

>> 3).  I didn't start this list to be a "Gilli" speaker.  I want nice, no
>name
>> calling, debate.  Something I will try to do myself.
>
>I'm with you on this!
>
>> Ok, 4).  Absolutly correct, that it's the Crown's choice.  But it's also
>my
>> job, if nothing other than a citzen of Ansteorra to give the Crown my
>veiws.
>
>Of course.
>
>> Just as it is yours.
>
>As I've tried to do here.
>
>- Galen
>
>P.S. to Gilli - If you're interested in what I think, I'd welcome the
chance
>talk privately with you.

Well I'm sure we'll get that chance sooner or later.  I look forward to it.
I always look forward talking with you.

Let me ask one more question, then I'm going to bed.  If the Rapier and
Chivalric champions are not archers, and the Archery is not a Grant, Rapier
or Chivalric fight,  will they call him/her brother/sister and let them
stand in the middle, or just back there somewhere?

OK, I'm to bed now,