ARCH - An Ideal Archer

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Fri Apr 7 16:42:17 PDT 2000

>Galen here...
>
>OTOH, I do see a parallel to the founding of the Order of the
>Centurions of the Sable Star, the heavy weapons grant-level
>award in Ansteorra.
>
>The Order was created with six members whom the Crown felt
>weren't suitable candidates for knighthood (nor I think were con-
>sidered likely ever to be), but who they felt deserved a higher
>level of recognition.  Seems reasonable.  It was another year
>before anybody else got this award.  Another two years after that
>before anyone else did.  Then the Crowns started changing the
>criteria.  For a while, it was for excellence in melee combat,
>especially in command roles.  Now it seems to be an award for
>hot-stick-up-and-comers, just a stepping-stone to knighthood.
>(Yes, this is my opinion.)

I do not know as the "standars" will be difficult to maintain but that is a
valid point. Has there been a problem maintaining the standars for the White
Scarf?

>I'm concerned that unless we _do_ have a "waiting list", as
>Plachoya put it, the purpose of the award may become con-
>fused and the standards difficult to maintain.
>
>Which is why I posed the question, taken up by nobody so far,
>of what would constitute the ideal archer.

OK my ideal archer; knowalge of archery as shot in the SCA as well as period
archery, shoot both target (IKAC, IKCAC, other shoots) and combat archery
(light or heavey), know how to make (not necessarly make) your own bow,
arrwos, quiver, ect.
While the nobals shot archery they were not the "archers" that would have
been helpful in war, so I do not feel that cloths make the award. However
they should have "presentable" clothing ( some thing for court) as well as
what ever they shot in.
I started this Thurs and it is ow late Fri and scores have been given as a
condition. If and I don't agree with scores being a condition why not use
some thing that approches a period shoot, say a York round. IIRC it is shot
at 60 80 and 100 yrds. Considering the lack of showing I had for my shoot at
BW & G no one will ever get a grant award so we will not have to worry about.
Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Southern Reagional Archery Marshal