ARCH - IKAC scores

John Moore iaen-mor at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 20 18:54:28 PDT 2000

OK this may piss a few people off but oh well.  First of all the use of a
tape recorder was instituted to give the range Marshall's voices a break(not
all of us have a parade ground voice) when running a range with large groups
of archers.
Also the use of a recorder gives a more consistent countdown for all archers
as they shoot.  Generally down here in Ansteorra we do not have that large
of groups to contend with at our events and we often do not have electricity
at our events we don't use them.

  Secondly,  I believe that the rule for having two people on a range is not
only for honest reporting of scores (Does not seem to be a problem down
here) but also, for safety.  For those that have had it happen there can be
nothing scarier than having a arrow come flying back at them from being
misnocked, a broken nock or worst of all, a string breaking. Most people in
the SCA seem to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of first aid and
therefore can assist a hurt archer more ably than a single archer can
his/herself.

Thirdly,  perhaps most importantly,  this is what the rules state.  There is
two be people at any given event/practice one being the Archer in Charge.
My take on this that both people do not have to be archers only the AIC.  In
other words if Lord Gilli is the AIC than lady Darcy may be the other body.
(Not picking on you Gilli just a convenient example)  The rules do not state
that both archers have to be shooting for score.

Lastly, I believe this rule was made to insure that no shenanigans would go
on when reporting scores.  The odds of two honest people pencil whipping
scores seems highly unlikely to me.  However, if this was proven to be true
than my personal opinion is that the offending persons should be banned from
the SCA .  This may seem a little extreme to some people but we are on our
honor here folks.  There is no reason for anyone to falsely report scores as
we must always remember that this is only a game.

                                                                     Iaen
Mor

Marshall at Large
                                                                     Coastal