ARCH - IKAC scores

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Sun Aug 20 19:26:19 PDT 2000

Lord Iaen wrote:

>OK this may piss a few people off but oh well.  First of all the use of a
>tape recorder was instituted to give the range Marshall's voices a
break(not
>all of us have a parade ground voice) when running a range with large
groups
>of archers.
>Also the use of a recorder gives a more consistent countdown for all
archers
>as they shoot.  Generally down here in Ansteorra we do not have that large
>of groups to contend with at our events and we often do not have
electricity
>at our events we don't use them.

The trouble with being and old Fart is you were there when somethings got
started.  Nope, Sorry the tape player came about because of ME several years
ago  (around 1990) doing the IKCAC.  When there is only two people doing the
IKCAC calling time and scoring the 50 yard target is tough.  The tape player
allowed the shooter (ME) to know when to start and stop shooting.  Times
were made for both the 2 minute and 1 minute segments.  I broached it with
Sir John, he liked it.  It became a rule. Sorry but it didn't have a thing
to do with saving someone's voice.

>  Secondly,  I believe that the rule for having two people on a range is
not
>only for honest reporting of scores (Does not seem to be a problem down
>here) but also, for safety.  For those that have had it happen there can be
>nothing scarier than having a arrow come flying back at them from being
>misnocked, a broken nock or worst of all, a string breaking. Most people in
>the SCA seem to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of first aid and
>therefore can assist a hurt archer more ably than a single archer can
>his/herself.

I don't know what Sir Jon's reasoning for this was.  However; while I have
had all the mishaps you describe happen to me, in twelve years have not had
anything requiring more than a band aid.  I have a greater fear of heart
attack  ( had one of them too) than of equipment failure.

>Thirdly,  perhaps most importantly,  this is what the rules state.  There
is
>two be people at any given event/practice one being the Archer in Charge.
>My take on this that both people do not have to be archers only the AIC.
In
>other words if Lord Gilli is the AIC than lady Darcy may be the other body.
>(Not picking on you Gilli just a convenient example)  The rules do not
state
>that both archers have to be shooting for score.

Rules are what seems to be a good thing at the time.  As times and people
change, so should the rules.  And some times it's something they just didn't
think about at the time.

>Lastly, I believe this rule was made to insure that no shenanigans would go
>on when reporting scores.  The odds of two honest people pencil whipping
>scores seems highly unlikely to me.  However, if this was proven to be true
>than my personal opinion is that the offending persons should be banned
from
>the SCA .  This may seem a little extreme to some people but we are on our
>honor here folks.  There is no reason for anyone to falsely report scores
as
>we must always remember that this is only a game.

To some, perhaps even most, this is far more than a game.  However, people
are people; ever hear of Watergate?  However, this is an HONOR game we play.
If I have to count each pearson's score than they don't need to be shooting.
If some says that I can't count MY score because I might cheat, we're going
to get SERIOUS about it.  And I don't mean just on paper.  :)

Gilli

>                                                                     Iaen
>Mor
>
>Marshall at Large