ARCH - IKAC scores (kinda long with excerpts from Corpora, Law, and Rules)

Eadric Anstapa eadric at barley.scabrewer.com
Sun Aug 20 22:35:07 PDT 2000

OK,  my 2 cents just grew to a dollar and some change.  I am gunna get long winded. I fail to see the problem with the requirement
of having two people present.

I try and shoot at least every day in my back yard and actually do so about 4 days a week.  I have on occasion shot  some scores
that would for me be considered GREAT.  In fact a couple of weeks ago a shot a 20 yard speed round that was higher than my current
Royal Round average.  It would be very easy for me to have a note posted in out local newsletter to the effect of,  "Archery
practices held most evenings at Lord Eadric's.  Contact Lord Eadric for details"  then I could start submitting all my great scores.

I would never submit a score that I couldn't verify with someone else.  As you have pointed out "people are people" and there will
always be those that will complain and take issue with things that they should not.  I for one think it is a good idea to avoid any
accidental seeming of impropriety.  I don't feel insulted or that my honor is in question because another person is required to be
present when I shoot because to me it just seems like good common sense.

Despite how you personally feel Gilli, SAFETY is certainly part of the issue because a warranted archery marshal is required to be
present.

What do the rules really say?  Well, to quote from them...

"There must be at least two people present at any shooting of the competition for the scores to be official. This means a minimum of
an Archer-in Charge and one shooting archer or two shooting archers, one acting as Archer-in-Charge."

The way I read this IF there are just two people present and one of them is there  "just to watch" and this person is not shooting,
then they must be acting as the Archer-In-Charge.  They should be the one submitting the reports and ideally be the warranted
marshal.

Why a warranted marshal?  Because the IKAC score must be shot at an SCA event.  Once again to quote from the IKAC rules;

"The competition may be shot at any official Kingdom or local event (regular practice sessions which are periodically announced in
the appropriate newsletter count as official events--otherwise, official events are all those announced in the appropriate Kingdom
or local newsletter)."

OK, what qualifies as an official event?  Well according to Corpora;

--------
II. SOCIETY EVENTS

A. SOCIETY EVENTS DEFINED. The term "Society event" refers to tournaments, feasts, and other activities whereby participants can
display the results of their researches into period culture and technology in an environment which evokes the atmosphere of the
Middle Ages and Renaissance. It also refers to educational activities involving either one-time classes or ongoing university
organizations, and meetings where participants share skills or discuss the business of the group. All Society events must be
sponsored by branches of the Society, registered with the Seneschal of the sponsoring branch and publicized at least to the
membership of that branch, and conducted according to Society rules.
--------

And according to our kingdom law;

--------
ARTICLE V: KINGDOM EVENTS

Section l: Events

1. All events shall meet at least the minimum requirements
   specified in Corpora II.A .

2. Every Event of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
   shall have an autocrat "steward" or coordinating autocrat
   "coordinating steward" whose name, address, and telephone
   number will be advertised with the event announcement, or
   shall be the responsibility of an officer of the sponsoring
   group, whose name, address, and telephone number are
   printed in the same newsletter in which the event
   announcement appears. The autocrat shall be acceptable to
   the Crown and the seneschal, and shall be warranted as a
   deputy seneschal for a period needed to exercise the duties
   of autocrat. An autocrat "steward" must meet the membership
   requirements for the office of seneschal.

3. There shall be three classes of "Society Events" in the
   Kingdom of Ansteorra.

   1. A Kingdom Calendar Event shall be defined as a gathering
      sponsored by an officially recognized branch of the
      Kingdom which is listed in advance on the Official
      Kingdom Calendar of Events in the Kingdom newsletter,
      and for which the date, time, and place have been
      published, for free, in advance in the Kingdom newsletter,
      and which has one or more duly warranted officers present
      and responsible for the conduct of the event.

   2. A Regional Calendar Event shall be defined as a gathering
      sponsored by three or more officially recognized branches
      of the Kingdom which is listed in advance on the Official
      Kingdom Calendar of Events in the Kingdom newsletter, and
      for which the date, time, and place have been published,
      for free, in advance in the Kingdom newsletter, and which
      has one or more duly warranted officers present and
      responsible for the conduct of the event.

   3. An Local Calendar Event shall be defined as a gathering
      sponsored by an officially recognized branch of the
      Kingdom which is not listed on the Official Kingdom Calendar
      of Events in the Kingdom newsletter but which has been listed
      in advance in a newsletter of an officially recognized branch,
      in which the date, time, and place have been published, and
      which has one or more duly warranted officers of the sponsoring
      branch present and responsible for the conduct of the event.
--------

The   "one or more duly warranted officers present  and responsible for the conduct of the event. "    would be the warranted
archery marshal that is required to be present.

The current Society Target Archery Rules say.

"No target archery activities are to take place at an event unless a target archery marshal is present on the range."

and

"All Target Archery Marshals are officers of the SCA and shall maintain membership as required by the SCA By-Laws, and shall be
warranted by their kingdom as required by Corpora."

The rules are there, they are easy to read and to understand and they are reasonably easy to comply with.  They are designed to
protect both the Society as a corporation and the individual members.

Go out and shoot and have fun because that's what this is supposed to be about.  When you are at an official event with all of the
necessary requirements met then submit scores if that what makes you happy.

In Service,

Eadric