ARCH - Chicken or the Egg?

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Mon Jul 10 16:51:34 PDT 2000

Greetings and Hi There,

Much has been writen today so instead of replying to each one I thought I'd
do this.  But before I do, let me ask yet another question.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  Did those kingdoms that have
strong archer programs with all the awards and such have them because they
had good archers to start with or did they get the good archers because they
had a good program? Or perhaps somewhere in the middle?

Initially, I did say only those with  the King's Archer.  Then I added
anyone else who had an award in an archery related area.  I *never* said
folks couldn't teach if they have something to teach.  You want to teach a
pebble how to be a rock?  Cool, go for it.  What I suggested was that
whatever we called the student was reserved to be used by those  being
taught by those that had the archery related  awards.

If it turns out we have an Olimpic Gold medalist in Archery in our midist
who doesn't have award one, I'll be happy to take instruction from him/her.
Maybe, I was different; but, when I was getting started in leather work I
wanted a teacher.  Where did I look for one?  In the Order of Presedence.
While our award system is the best, folks do get missed or over looked.  But
those that do get an award for their work in a field are usually pretty
good.

I really don't understand the hubb bub this is causing.  The codifing,
labeling etc is taking place right now.  If you're an archer you're labeled.
If you're not, you still have a lable.  Every time you pull that bow string
you're in a new catagory.  Even those that don't shoot are in a catagory.
The better you do, the more select that catagory becomes.  You get an award,
you're in a catagory.  You don't have an award, you're still in a catagory.
What's the big deal?  It can't be that we're affraid to draw attention to
ourselves-wrong hobby for that.  :)   Perhaps it's that Kmart blue light
special that will go over your head as a teacher willing to teach that has a
bad affect?  Or that we're affraid that no  one will want to have me as
their teacher?  I can't figure it out.

Why does the group have to be a small select one?  I'll take as many folks
as students as those that want me as their teacher.  Seems to me a good
place (but not the only place) to get good enough to get a King's Archer is
to study with one.

I believe that Edaric said archers must do more to grow our ranks and to
bring archery more into the presence of the kingdom at large and more into
the court.  Absolutely!!  That's why the Archer's Flight was invented.  You
remember the archer sponsored pot luck lunch for archers and those
interested in archery to be held at the archery ranges at events?  I
sponsored the first one at Elfsea Spring Faire.  Has there been any more?
The archery banners will draw attention.  How many have made one?  Need help
making them?  While it will take till the end of the year to do it, the
medalions for the archery competitions will be presented in court.  Speaking
of court.  If an archer taking a student in court doesn't increase our
presence, then those attending are all snorring.  Heck, even my own
costuming has been improving.

Folks, I believe if we look  and act like the big boys then folks will think
we are.  WE have to do something about it.  WE just can't wait for it to
happen.  I've been waiting for over ten years for it to happen and folks it
hasn't yet.  Just because we're off by ourselves most of the time doesn't
have to mean we're not ready for prime time.

Gilli   time to cook those chickens and eggs...flame on.