ARCH - Another name

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 7 08:52:17 PDT 2000

>Greetings and Hi There,
>
>A while back on this list someone brought up taking students.  That thought
>has been in the back of mind and has finnally come up for air.  Here is my
>basic very changeable sugestion.  Untill we get a higher level award, those
>people who have been awarded the King's Archer may take students.  (In
>reality, any one can teach if they have someone willing to learn what they
>have to teach them).  Hopefully a  relationship such as a Don  to a Cadet or
>a Knight to a Squire or a Pelican to a Protege  or a Laurel to an
>Apprentise.  My only problem is what spiffy thing do we call these students.

	****WARNING  very strong opinion. (me strong opinion???)*******

	Anyone may take someone as a student or an apprentice.  You don't
have to be a King's Archer, a Laurel or a Pelican, Squire or Don.  If you
have something to teach and you want to teach then by all means teach.  You
don't have to be in a superior position to teach someone.    Some Laurels,
Pelicans and etc.  don't take them formally for a lot of different reasons.
Some of my best teachers are people who are not anything "offical" .
Almost everyone I'm learning archery from doesn't have any award for
archery.

	To encourage this concept  could be harmful.  I'm sorry Gilli, I
don't mean to sound critical or harsh or mean but it sets upa really bad
precedent that I find annoying.  I don't approve of it in either the
Laurels or the rest of the Peers.  It promotes the concept that you can't
teach without the proper credientals and I don't think that's true...... It
prpomotes a really skewed system of thinking you have to have this before
you can do this.  It's getting to be where one can't be considered for a
Laurel without being an Apprentice which I find objectionable.  I think
it's not a idea to promote.

	I am a student to a fighter who is not a Knight and I wouldn't
chosse anyone else to work with -- I don't care what I'm called.  (He calls
me a lot especially when I do something dumb).

	I know you have issues about awards for archers and I will be happy
to sit down at some event and listen but I really think this isn't a good
suggestion.  We should work towards a community that teaches each other as
companions, partners and friends.  Personal relationships (student/teacher)
will occur naturally.

Regards,

Clare