ARCH - Another name

Earl Albrecht ealbrecht at nitekmcallen.com
Fri Jul 7 09:06:02 PDT 2000

Heilsa,

    I have to say I agree with this.  I know that period life was based on
class and association, but if we limit ourselves today in these ways, we
limit choices for new poeple (and may drive them away).  Yes, I am a newbie
and have no association with any peers (there aren't any around) so you may
feel that colors my view, but it also gives me a personal and immediate look
at the SCA through the eyes of someone trying to get started in our game --
mine.

In troth,

Erik the Black
(Earl Albrecht)
Legio Australis
La Marche Sauvage

"The Norse ideal was a man of open, generous disposition, a man imbued with
qualities of compassion and kindness, not ruthless but firm and fair,
even-tempered but capable of passion, physically accomplished and strong in
a fight, but not a bully."

Magnus Magnusson

> ****WARNING  very strong opinion. (me strong opinion???)*******
>
> Anyone may take someone as a student or an apprentice.  You don't
> have to be a King's Archer, a Laurel or a Pelican, Squire or Don.  If you
> have something to teach and you want to teach then by all means teach.
You
> don't have to be in a superior position to teach someone.    Some Laurels,
> Pelicans and etc.  don't take them formally for a lot of different
reasons.
> Some of my best teachers are people who are not anything "offical" .
> Almost everyone I'm learning archery from doesn't have any award for
> archery.
>
> To encourage this concept  could be harmful.  I'm sorry Gilli, I
> don't mean to sound critical or harsh or mean but it sets upa really bad
> precedent that I find annoying.  I don't approve of it in either the
> Laurels or the rest of the Peers.  It promotes the concept that you can't
> teach without the proper credientals and I don't think that's true......
It
> prpomotes a really skewed system of thinking you have to have this before
> you can do this.  It's getting to be where one can't be considered for a
> Laurel without being an Apprentice which I find objectionable.  I think
> it's not a idea to promote.
>
> I am a student to a fighter who is not a Knight and I wouldn't
> chosse anyone else to work with -- I don't care what I'm called.  (He
calls
> me a lot especially when I do something dumb).
>
> I know you have issues about awards for archers and I will be happy
> to sit down at some event and listen but I really think this isn't a good
> suggestion.  We should work towards a community that teaches each other as
> companions, partners and friends.  Personal relationships
(student/teacher)