ARCH - Mentors/Teachers/Students

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Mon Jul 10 14:05:23 PDT 2000

Darcy,

I haven't seen anyone argue here that there should not be
formal teacher/student relationships developed.  In fact
just the opposite has been stated by essentially
everyone.  I think we all agree that the more experienced
archers should encourage and guide the less experienced
ones and that personal student/teacher relationships are
a good thing.

What has been argued is that these should be private
understandings and personal relationships that should not
be limited to certain individuals and should not be
regimented or named in any way.

If someone thinks that I have something to teach them
(unlikely), and I know them well enough to agree with
them, then if they wish to call me their archery teacher
or say that they are my student, that is a matter
entirely between the two of us. Labels, titles,
ceremonies, and insignia are not necessary and should not
be expected for such relationships to exist.

Regards,

Eadric

Debbie Dewart <darcy at seacove.net> said:

> I have also digressed way off my argument about formal
mentors/students.  It
> is  my belief that part of what will help us to grow
strong is the
> development of teacher/student  ties.   This does not
mean that informal
> teaching/mentoring should not exist.  But the strong
bounds that can
> develope through formally taking someone as a student
should be encouraged.