ARCH - Champions History

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Thu Jul 20 16:04:50 PDT 2000

At 4:51 PM -0500 7/20/00, Fearghus wrote:
>Creating a New Kingdom champion takes a little more than us wanting it. It
>would have to be created by the Crown. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but
>lets get a little history behind the Royal Huntsman. Who knows the next
>Royal Huntsman shoot may be a combat shoot.
>
>Ld Fearghus MacKenna
>Deputy Earl Marshal for Archery Ansteorra
>Man at Arms to Centurion Airaklee Wolf

I think that is a good and realistic goal.  As much as we like the idea of
a combat archery champion, I don't see it happening for awhile.  Things
just don't move that fast in the SCA.  So Fearghus makes a good point.
Adding variety to the existing title might be a solution that can be done
now, instead of 3 or 4 years from now.

I haven't fought heavy weapons in over a decade, so I may be wrong on this
point, but...

I know most tournaments setups are decided by the last years winner, or by
tradition, or by the sponsoring group.  But I think that the King's
Champion list style is decided by the incoming King.  You might want to
check with the Crown to make sure they have no objections to the style of
shoot you have in mind.  They might have it in their minds that the Royal
Huntsman is to always be decided by an IKAC.  Might not, but better to find
out before there are any unpleasant surprises.

On another point, someone brought up recently about the Royal Hunstman
being entouroge.  Feargus, are you really expected to travel all over the
kingdom with the Crown?  I would not mind competing for that title, but I
have neither the time nor inclination to travel that much.  If travel is
part of the job, then that needs to be clear to anyone competing for that
title before they shoot.

Rumil