ARCH - Champions History

Eadric Anstapa eadric at barley.scabrewer.com
Thu Jul 20 22:00:05 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Powers" <spowers at telepath.com>
> On another point, someone brought up recently about the Royal Huntsman
> being entouroge.  Feargus, are you really expected to travel all over the
> kingdom with the Crown?  I would not mind competing for that title, but I
> have neither the time nor inclination to travel that much.  If travel is
> part of the job, then that needs to be clear to anyone competing for that
> title before they shoot.
>
> Rumil

I was the one that brought that up and what I said was...

> I think that the Royal Huntsman is one of our best
> opportunities to encourage and promote archery and
> archers within the kingdom.  We need to work to make sure
> that the Royal Huntsman is treated just as the King or
> Queens champion would be.  The Royal Huntsman should be
> there standing in state with is quiver and bow, alongside
> the other royal champions in every court.
>
> As a member of their majesties entourage the Royal
> Huntsman will be a living symbol of our ranks and be in a
> position to encourage archery throughout the kingdom and
> encourage the court to recognize archery and archers when
> needed.

This always something that varies from reign to reign.  But TYPICALLY the
champions do stand in state behind the throne during court.  If the Royal
Champion is not at the event then someone else is asked to fill in.  I
remember years ago when Rapier combat was still in it's infancy and not
every event (few) had rapier activities.  Still, that Rapier fighter
standing behind the queen in court served as a constant reminder that it was
an important aspect of the current middle ages to many people.

The rapier community seems to take it more serious than the heavy weapons
community and I think that is good.  There is very much a sense that the
champion should try and make as many events with the crown as possible and
if they can not be there then arrange for someone else to stand in state on
their behalf.  I guess the question is,   What do we the archer community
expect of the royal archery champion and what do their majesties expect.

Some Royal Huntsman will be a more involved member of the entourage than
others.  Some are more capable of traveling than others.  Still I think that
with so great an honor their should be some responsibility. People should
consider "What if I win?"  "What are my duties and how will I fulfill them?"
BEFORE they shoot in the competition.  I think the Royal Huntsman can do a
lot for the archery community if they will.

These are ofcourse just my personal opinions and since I am not a good
enough shot to win anytime soon it is particularly easy for me to spout off.

Regards,

Eadric