ARCH - Archery Question

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Wed Jun 7 00:23:21 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Rayburn, Timothy <TRayburn at healthaxis.com>
To: 'ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org' <ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 4:23 PM
Subject: RE: ARCH - Archery Question

><Begin Quote, Me & Gilli>
>> >2) Archers aren't Inviting - Not that they aren't welcoming, but I've
>> never
>> >been /invited/ to shoot target archery.  I don't have a bow, so I don't
>> >bother going over to the range.
>>
>> I don't think the archers will ever just go through the populace to do
>> that.
>> However,  since you don't bother to go to the range, you'll never know if
>> there was a bow and some arrows there you could've used.  What would it
>> hurt
>> to walk over and see?
><End Quote>
>
>Why not?  Why not have a loud and well spoken individual get up in court
and
>offer that anyone who wishes to shoot can come do so, no equipment
>necessary, and perhaps even give a small token (of some sort) for first
time
>shooters.  This isn't just getting up in court and saying 'We will be
>shooting archery today at the archery field, everyone's welcome'... Make it
>sound interesting.  Then make it interesting.  Fun shoots that are quick
and
>ego-reinforcing.

Greatidea!  Why don't you do that and provide that token too.
><Quote Again>
>> >
>> >3) Lack of Pageantry - Completely personal bias, I admit, but I love
>> seeing
>> >pageantry and display of the middle ages which I just don't feel at the
>> >archery range.
>>
>> There is a bit of a reason for this.   Long flowing sleves and bow
strings
>> do not mix well together.  The same is also true for some hats and other
>> of
>> the more elabote garb.  Plus walking back and forth retreiving  arrow can
>> be
>> a bit of work particularly if you're wearing garb not designed for such
>> things (court garb isn't meant to do work  in).  Now if your referring to
>> banners  penants and the like, and the mellow tones of hearld doing his
>> thing, that's a differant story.  It could be done if the organizer of
>> that
>> event wanted to do so.  But bear in mind that archery is a spectator
sport
>> only to a point.  Unless you have really good eyes or a looking glass,
>> those
>> hits on the farther targets are hard to see.
><End Quote>
>
>I mean all of the above, actually.  Why not have shooters shoot
>head-to-head, two at a time only.  Then have some individuals (young
>energetic ones) as arrow retrievers.  Make it a show of the chivalry,
>prowess and magic that drew us all to the SCA once so long ago.

Again, another great idea.  How about becoming a marshal an d run one or two
that way?

><Quote Again>
>> >
>> >That single key is what I think people should focus on.  Make archery
fun
>> >for the archers, and I guarantee the kingdom scores will recover.
>>
>> Nice thought, but I've never after any of the fun shoots I've ran heard
>> any
>> of those folks say, "Great, now lets go shoot some scores".  Although at
>> Southern Regional, Pug did want to shoot an IKAC when I got back.
>> However,
>> I was too tired and the other marshals continued with another hole of
>> Combat
>> Archery Golf.
><End Quote>
>
>Well, if Pug has, then someone has, yes?
>
>Rebuilding archery is not an overnight thing.  Nothing worth doing is.  You
>must keep at it, keep a positive attitude.  Remember that it won't make a
>change the first, second, or third times you do it.  But it will eventually
>make a difference.
>
>And, didn't the Kingdom just get a ton of scores from the Royal Huntsman
>competition?

Don't know.  Only those scores shot by paid members would have counted for
the Kingdom.

I should think this proves that high-profile shoots work to
>get people out to play.  Make it fun and high profile, have great prizes
and
>you'll have a thriving community.... eventually.
>
>Have patience ... have patience ... don't be in such a hurry,

Been doing this  for almost 12 years there sports fan.  If I was in it for
fame, glory or awards I'd have bailed long ago.

>Timothy of Glastonbury

You know, arm chair archery is a great thing.  Many of your ideas sound
interesting.  So why don't YOU get up and go do them????

That, in large part is the problem, people will bitch about what is wrong or
come up with ideas they expect others to do on how to fix things.  If that's
what YOU want  to see done; then get out there and do it.

Then after you've shot a few hundred rounds and ran dozens and dozens of
ranges  will take stock and see how well you've done.  And perhaps you will
have done well, or perhaps you'll find someone making susguestions on how
you can improve things.