ARCH - general questions

Eadric Anstapa eadric at barley.scabrewer.com
Sun Jun 18 08:17:26 PDT 2000

The bows can be of modern materials just as long as they are recurves or
longbows.  You can't use any modern accessories like sights, clickers,
release aids, stabilizers, etc.

Once again as Gilli says you gotta pick a bow that you can shoot without
tiring too easily.  At almost any shoot you should plan of firing at least
24 arrows (a basic royal round), perhaps more.  For a an IKAC you are
probably going to shoot 72 or more arrows.  These numbers count just the
competition itself and not any practice you do beforehand.  Few hunters go
out prepared to fire 72 or more arrows in an afternoon.

You are probably not going to be shooting more than 40 yds, and your target
is stationary, so there is a limit to how heavy a bow you actually need.
Pick a bow that gets the job done yet allows you to shoot all day.  For some
people that is a 30# bow, for others a 40#, 50#, or more.  Right now in
Gate's Edge,  Baron Talmon is using a 30#, I am using a 40#, and Iaen has a
55# Mongol bow that he shoots often.  I am using a modern Hoyt Polaris
take-down recurve.

For me 30# is a little light for the 40yd range.  It really turns into
"arch"ery with a lighter bow.  It seems that 40# gets the job done but if I
could draw heavier bow consistantly all day long I would probably use a
heavier one.

Have Fun,  Come Join Us,

Eadric