ARCH - Re: ANST - Archery Question

Fearghus lordfearghus at home.com
Wed Jun 7 11:07:05 PDT 2000

To the Archers of our fair Kingdom,
I have not up to this point been following all these posts on this subject
but I must at this point step in and comment. The IKAC was instituted to
have a common measure of  archers between the Kingdoms. It is a tool to keep
archers striving to be better and to allow a way to compete with fellow
archers across the known world without having to be at the same place. While
HL Gilli is correct in that no real rank is associated with the published
scores, it does give a measure of how our archers are fairing against each
other, themselves and the rest of the known world. I would have to say
though that while I don't agree that Ansteorran archers are the worst in the
known world, they are definitely not the best. This just means we must
strive for a higher goal and do everything in our power to promote our
activity in the kingdom.

The only way we are going to get better is to do it. You can talk all you
want but if you don't practice you don't get better. This is true in
anything we do.  I have heard the complaints of people not competing in
archery competitions because they don't feel capable of competing to the
same standard that some of the the more experienced archers do. Well you
have to walk before you run. What I have tried to do at Elfsea's events is
try to offset some of the skill with luck in some of our shoots. Three years
ago Lady Innes won Elfsea Defender against some shooters that she would be
the first to tell you had greater skill than she.  But by placing a little
chance in to some of the shoots, it evened the playing field. On that day,
she carried the field against such archers as Don Sebastian and Lord Wayne
of the Heights. But you can't win if you don't play.

As to how people are treated on the range, I would agree that if we want to
promote what we do and attract others we must make them feel welcome. This
can be hard at times due to many circumstances. Marshals on a target range
are expected to pay attention to the line. This is their job. But marshals
should be promoting what we do and trying to ensure that everyone that is
interested at least has their question answered and made to feel welcome.
It is easier to let someone try archery than it is to let them fight.  We
are trying to make strides in this kingdom to reward and recognize archers.
The Royal Huntsman is good step. But it is only the first. When we show a
united and chivarlous (sp?) front then the other things we strive for will
be attained.
Ld Fearghus MacKenna
Kingdom Archery Marshal
Man at Arms to Centurion Airaklee Wolf