ARCH - Marshal authorization...

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Sun Jun 18 09:10:33 PDT 2000

Clare said.

>That's a good question and one that Gilli responded to in part.  I was
>curious as well.  I know that at the events I have been on the field I have
>been instructed on checking gleaned arrows to insure they are still
>functional.  I have never seen any classes on the various bits of info.  I
>just returned from King's College and there was plenty of field combat
>-heavy classes but none on archery.  that would have been a good venue to
>hold a beginning class on things.

I reviewed my answer and found that I did leave out something very
important.  However; it was not arrow inspection as arrow construction is
covered in the rules.  That thing was a burning desire to do the job.  Not
just a want to do the job.

As with any event, you can only go if you can.  At a previous Kings College
Plachoya and I double teamed a class on combat arrow construction.  However,
ususally those type of classes are given at Accademy of the Bow.  Another
good place for that sort of thing is at the shoots my Lady and I sponsor on
an occassion;  like 30 June - 2 July.  :)

>As far as I can tell. target archery is different from Combat archery.
>Concerning the combat there seems to be inspection marchals which I agree
>you have to be trained at and there are field marshalls for checking arrows
>- which almost anyone can do.  at Gulf War, I was repeatedly told to check
>with field combat marshalls about certain things.  Some of them had not
>clue as to the rules of combat archery, ballista and other thrown objects.

Combat archery is shooting at real live people with non leathal arrows.
Target archery is shooting at some kind of a non living target.  Even the
archery in the InterKingdom Combat Archery Competition is target archery
because you are shooting a target ussually out of plywood and such.  Some
marshals become very focused in there abilities.  Me included.  I'm
basically a traget archery marshal who knows the archery side of combat
archery.

>The archery marshalls who inspect my equipment are always willing to talk
>as much as time allows and they are always happy to get  help with checking
>arrows.

Techniqucally every arrow is suppose to be checked before being allowed on
the field.  When I bring one of those big yellow boxes to the war each one
of those used arrows have been inspected 3 times before I  load the box on
the trailor. Once when we first start the arrow making parties, second time
when the repair is finished, third when I pack them in combat storage in the
box.  New construction is inspected twice.  Once ant the end of
construction.  The second time when I pack them in combat storage in the
box.