ARCH - Marshal Who??

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Tue Jun 20 17:34:43 PDT 2000

I think we have a terminalogy thing going on here.

The warrented marshal is the marshal in charge.  It  means that he/she is
responsible for the set up and safe running of the range.  That does not
mean he must be standing on the line every minute the range is open.

The marshal in charge also called MIC may have as many assistants as he
needs to help run the range.  This allows the poor MIC to go to mother
nature's call, get water, and even take a break for awhile.  However, the
responsibilty for the safe running of the range is *still* that of the
marshal in charge.

Here's something to consider.  Vertually every thing we do in the SCA is a
stepping stone to the next level of activity.  Of course not every stone is
stepped on by every body, but there is a progression.  Like assisting local
marshal, becoming local  marshal, asisting regional marshal, becoming
regional marshal, asisting Kingdom Marshal, becoming Kingdom Marshal.  There
are other little side stones like marshal at large, Deputy IKAC, Deputy
IKCAC. Time is what it takes to learn to walk the steps.

Now, I haven't looked lately, but I don't think there is any Kingdom policy
that dictates how the Kingdom officer must select his subordinates.  And
they sure don't have to expond on why your services are no longer needed if
that should ever be the case (been there, had that done to me).   I don't
know, perhaps it's a comfort level thing.  Perhaps the exact answers to
these questions should be off line.  Then again, maybe not.