ARCH - Thoughts about events

harry billings psobaka at myriad.net
Fri Oct 20 16:58:26 PDT 2000

>So to apply this to the problem of the Academy of the Bow, there are
>several possible solutions.

Would be good for one of the two RH shoots, but we need to get the RH shoot
to have a predicable time spot flowing cornation.

>1) Combine it with the Royal Huntsman shoot.  That would provide a more
>robust event for both.  The competition would be a nice conclusion to the
>weekend.  Yes, I know, we need two Royal Hunstman shoots every year, but
>only one Academy.  But maybe for one of the two annual shoots it might go.
>
>2) Combine it with the Academy of the Rapier every year.  This will add
>momentum to both, and make it a money maker instead of a money loser.  The
>biggest problem I see here are the number of wire-wigglers who also like to
>fling sticks.  They won't get to do everything that they want to.  On the
>other hand, it will also make the event a bit more prestigeous for groups
>to do.  And it will attract autocrats from the Rapier community as well as
>the Archery community.

If this is done it needs to be planed on early in the planning stages of the
other event, adding it in latter may not be any better than not having one
in the first place.

>3) Combine it with a regular event someone else is doing.  Sure, that makes
>scheduling during the event harder.  But I believe it is well worth it.  It
>would mean that only the Academy part would require a coordinator, since
>the autocrat for the event can be drawn from a much wider group (the entire
>branch instead of just the archers).  I, for one, have only so much energy
>to devote to running events.  I work at all of our local events.  And I
>autocrat one every now and then, but do less of that as time passes.  Why?
>I am getting older, grumpier, and have less energy for such things.  But if
>I only had to do the coordinating part for an Academy, I might be tempted.
>Hauling trash, cleaning porta-potties, and staying up all night dealing
>with problems definately makes the autocrats job less interesting.  But an
>Academy Coordinator needs do none of that.  So if your group is doing an
>event anyway, and there is time to work in an Academy of the Bow, then why
>not do it?  It could even raise attendance at your event.

This could be a good workable idea as well but again needs to be done at the
start of the planning not added latter.