ARCH - Thoughts about events

Debbie Dewart darcy at seacove.net
Sat Oct 21 05:19:29 PDT 2000

Pot luck feast, well, hummmm....   Actually a stand alone  AoB is just like
most events, except the main theam is archery.  I have a "how to" for it
that I wrote a while back.   I'm going to include it here.  It's  a little
long  and may need some dusting off.

Sorry to hear about your medical thing there.  I've my own little buddy that
visits me from time  to time.

OK, if you don't want to know how to do an Academy of the Bow, don't go
futher.

Gilli

Shoot more arrows and more will hit Gold.

HOW TO RUN AN ACADEMY OF THE BOW

GENERAL
Academy of the Bow is an educational event with archery as the main theme.
It is an event to promote Archery within the Kingdom of Ansteorra.  Since an
educational event requires more planning, work, coordination and time to get
ready than a regular event, I recommend that the event be awarded at least
six months prior to the event date.  Hopefully since it is a Kingdom
sponsored event, it will rotate it's location throughout the Kingdom in a
fashion similar to Academy of the Rapier.

HOW TO BE SELECTED
First, decide that you want to do the  event (sometimes the branch may
decide it wants to do it then gets someone to run it).  Find a site that
will support the event (see below for site requirements).  Then talk to your
local branch and see if they are willing to do the event.  If they are:
then, once the date for the event has been selected by the Kingdom Seneschal
and Kingdom Archery Marshal, have your Seneschal send in a bid for the
event. From those groups sending in bids, one will be chosen to do the
event.  It could be that a group of Kingdom branches may want to do the
event.

ANATOMY OF ACADEMY
These are minimum guidelines for the event.  The maximum is limited by time
and the imagination of the hosting branch.  While each Academy of the Bow
should contain these items, there is a great deal of latitude on the exact
flavor and composition of the event.  It is this flavor and composition that
must be determined as quickly as possible so the Event Announcement and
Notes and Challenges may be written.

There are eight (8) basic parts to an Academy of the Bow.
     1.  Three ranges (minimum) - IKAC, IKCAC and beginner ranges.
     2.  Six archery related classes (minimum) - see suggested list.
     3.  Arts and Sciences Competition with an archery theme.
     4.  One novelty shoot (minimum) - see suggested list.
     5.  Bardic Competition with an archery theme, style to be determined by
the autocrat.
     6.  Auction.
     7.  Feast (Minimum).
     8.  Archery Marshal's Meeting.

Once the Kingdom branch(es) and autocrat have been selected, there is a lot
of work to be done. The process of doing any event may be broken down into
three basic parts: 1). Things to do before the event, 2). Things to do
during the event, 3). Things to do after the event.

THINGS TO DO BEFORE THE EVENT - These are planning, coordination and
preparations that must be made well prior to the event.  Of the three parts
to an event, most of the work is done here.
 Site Requirements - See figure 1 for example of site layout.   In addition
to the normal requirements which apply to all sites, I.E., water, toilet
facilities, adequate parking and camping areas and feast preparation areas,
there should be:
  1). Enough space to SAFELY setup a minimum of: one competition, target
range;   one competition, combat range and a beginner range.  The beginner
range should have   both type of targets on it.   In addition to the safety
aspect of where the ranges are to be   located,  is the area suitable for
the arrows?   It may be necessary prior to the event to   mow, remove rock
and other things detrimental to the arrows.   Also, be sure to have   plenty
of score sheets available.
  2). One or more class areas should be provided.   They should be at least
shaded.    The possible location for these class area(s) could range from
inside a G. P. medium tent to  under a large shade tree.   Depending on the
class schedule and the availability of    instructors several class areas
may be needed at once.   If possible, the site should have   facilities in
case of bad weather.
  3). A control point (Registration Point) is needed to control the event.
Participants  may register here for classes.  From here information on class
location and changes   in class schedule is maintained; the heralds
coordinate here for announcing classes    and their locations.   If a
proceedings for the event is to be given/sold that may be    done here.
  4). Chirurgeons Point is a centralized location for both the chirurgeons
and the   water bearers.   Depending on the site facilities this could be
collocated with Registration   Point.
  5). Constables and hospitalers also need a place to operate from.   Again,
depending on the availability of facilities they could be collocated at
Registration Point.    Registration Point could turn out to be a very busy
place.
  6). Troll Booth - since the Corpora requires those persons who can not
show proof  that they have signed a site waiver to sign one (Copora G-13),
be sure to have plenty of the  "Waiver and Informed Consent to Participate"
forms available.   Sign - in sheets with the   waivers at the top of the
sheet is a good idea. Site information fliers with the most current   event
schedule (this should also include a brief description of the class) should
be available   to be given to the people when they sign in; as well as a
garbage bag.   Be sure to ask   people to sign - up to help out marshaling,
water bearing and heralding.

 Instructor Availability - Once the local branch is selected to do Academy
of the Bow, the autocrat should immediately start coordinating for
instructors.  If the autocrat is not that familiar with the Kingdoms'
archers, talk to the Kingdom Archery Marshal.  He should be able to help you
out. Call/write them for their tentative attendance at the event.  Also, ask
the instructor to provide a brief description of the class.  Then follow-up
two to three weeks before the event to make sure they can still come; this
allows time to pick up the slack if they can't.

 After you have an idea of which classes you have instructors for, you can
start putting together the class schedule.  If you have an instructor who is
teaching more than one class, you'll have to arrange it so they are double
scheduled or back to back.

 Event Site Support - This is a recommended list of people required to run
the event in addition to the instructors. Availability of people at the
hosting local branch may require a modification to this list.  Of course,
some people may do more than one job as is often the case.  I have found
that having the local officers be incharge of their respective areas works
very well.  You may want to coordinate with folks outside the local group to
do some of the jobs.  The below list may also be modified by other
activities include in the event.
  1). Autocrat.
  2). Co - autocrat.
  3). Feastocrat.
  4). Editor - puts the Proceedings together
  5). Two people at Registration Point.  They will be coordinating
class/location   changes and informing heralds of times to make
announcements (minimum of one).
  6). Two heralds- one to announce at the ranges, one to announce in the
encampment (minimum of one).
  7). Two archery marshals at the competition target range (minimum of one).
  8). Two archery marshals at the competition combat range (minimum of one).
  9). Two archery marshal at the beginner range (minimum of one).
  10).  One or two people at Arts & Sciences.
  11).  MOC to work with the kids.
  12).  Judges for the Arts & Sciences.
  13).  Judges for the Bardic Competition.
  14). At least one chirurgeon (not required but nice to have).
  15).  Water bearers or water points set up on the ranges.
  16).  Constables as required.
  17).  Kitchen help/servers as required.
  18).  Troll booth as required.
  19).  Event set-up/tear-down/clean-up--the more the merrier and the
easier.

 Instructor/Help Appreciation - Have a scroll, a token, mead or something to
show those who pass-on their knowledge that we appreciate their efforts.
Something to say "thank you" to those who worked the event should also be
given.  These people made the event possible and worked hard to do it; don't
forget them.

 Suggested Classes - This a small list of possible classes which might be
taught at the event.  It is by no means all the possible topics that could
be covered.  If it's archery related, a class on it could be given.  The
class could even be related to an archers life.  Because the list of things
related to an archers life is so great they are not listed below.
       Arrow Construction w/ & w/o a Fletching Jig,  Combat Arrow
Construction, How   to Set Up a Range,  Long Bow Making,  Crossbow
Construction,  Bow String Making,     Flight Characteristics of an Arrow,
Aiming Techniques, Target and Combat,  Costuming   for Archers,  Combat
Archery Tactics,  Quiver Making,  Novelty Shoots - What They Are   and How
To Do Them,  History of Archery/Archery Used in Major Battles,  How to
Inspect Equipment,  First Aid for Archery,  Range Marshaling,  Range
Etiquette,  Cresting,       How and Where to Buy Archery Tackle,  Stalking,
Range Safety, ETC.

 Other Activities at Academy of the Bow - The whole idea between having
classes, the ranges and the below listed other activities all going on
throughout the day is to give the participant, experienced and
inexperienced, a wide range of archery activities to choose from.  In this
case information overload is a good thing.  On the economic side of things;
the more people -not just archers- the event appeals to the greater chance
of the event being a profitable success.
  1). Arts & Sciences Competition with an archery theme.
  2). At least one novelty shoot - the day shouldn't be all serious.
Possible novelty   shoots may include, but are not limited to:  a). Flout
Shoot, b). Flight Shoot, c). Wand   shoot, d). Bag Shoot, e). William Tell
Shoots of various types, f). Shoot the Knight, Kill   the Archers, g).
Archers Challenge.
  3). Auction - please play this one up big and well in advance.  Try to get
lots of   items donated for the auction.  The proceeds of the auction will
go to help finance the   running of the office for the next year.
  4). Feast - this is a must, the type of feast; I.E., buffet, banquet,
etc., is at   the autocrat's discretion.  Depending on how full a class
schedule you have, you might   want to consider not having a lunch break but
providing a side board of food types that can  be eaten on the run.
  5).  Bardic Competition with an archery theme - actual styles to be used
at the   autocrat's discretion.
  6). Archery Marshals' meeting - This allows the archery marshals and other
interested people to discuss archery topics of interest face to face.
  7). Other activities such as darts, dancing, knife ax and spear throws,
etc., can also   be included.

 Proceedings - If you are reading this you are holding a proceedings.  A
proceedings is a collection of the materials and other related items that
were presented at the event.
 Whether or not to publish a proceedings of the event is probably one of the
tougher decisions to make.  If you are going to do one:
 Will it be available at the event or after?  More lead time is required if
it is to be done before the event.  In this case, coordination with the
instructors to get a copy of what they'll be teaching must be made.  Please
don't think that the instructors will already have a print quality copy of
their class all ready to go.  They probably will have to type one up; in
some cases, you may want to do this for them so it will be in the same
format.  Having the proceedings at the event also requires the up front cash
expenditure for printing.
 If it is to be done after the event, the publishing process can be done at
a more leisurely pace.  If it is done after, be sure to take prepaid orders
for it at the event.  This will help with the cost and give some idea of how
many will be needed.
 Will there be anything else in the proceeding beside the classes taught at
the event?  Other things you may want to put in the proceedings: latest
rules for the IKAC & IKCAC, illustrations and other general information.
 How many do we print up?  Crystal ball time.  Print to few and you may have
to print more at a higher cost; print too many and you'll be selling them
everywhere you go.
 Will it be included in the site fee or sold separately?

 Event Announcements - The group (or groups) selected to do Academy of the
Bow should be responsible for submitting to the Kingdom Chronicler a minimum
of two event announcements.   These announcements should conform to the
current Kingdom standards for event announcements.  See the current Black
Star at the time for the requirements. Each announcement should be in the
Kingdom Chronicler's mail box by the 1st of the month prior to the
publication of the Black Star in which it will appear.  Example: If the
event is the 1st weekend in May, this means the announcements should appear
in the March and April Black Stars.  The first announcement should be mailed
to the Kingdom Chronicler by January 25; this announcement should contain
some of the classes.  The 2nd announcement should be mailed to the Kingdom
Chronicler by February 22; it should contain a final tentative list of the
classes, this will probably cost you to do it..  If any of the classes will
have a fee for materials this should also be included in the announcement.
If the event is later in the month then the announcement can be moved back a
month.

 Notes & Challenges - Additional interest can be generated and news and
information can be disseminated by putting in Notes & Challenges more than
two issues prior to the event.  Be sure  to identify in which issue it is to
appear.

 Prizes - Each of the competitions should have a prize given.   If possible
try to get these prizes donated to the event.  See your local reeve for
information on how the contributors can get a tax deduction for their
donation.

 Forms - Be sure to have plenty of the following forms on site: Site
Waivers, IKAC & IKCAC score sheets, sign - up sheets for each of the
events/classes and work details.  Sign - up sheets for work details such as
marshals, water bearers and heralds should be at the troll booth.

 Materials Acquisition/Construction - See figure 2.  This is an example list
of the equipment that I used to put on the first and forth Academy of the
Bow.  Substitutions and additions are allowed as long as it gets the job
done. See which of the equipment you have and which you'll need to acquire
either by borrowing or by constructing.  If you borrow, arrange for
transportation of the equipment; both to you and back to where it came from.
Also, make sure you return it in a usable condition. If you decide to build
the equipment, schedule times to work on it and the funds to purchase the
required materials.

 Pre - event work parties -  You can't do it all yourself.   Have as many
work parties as necessity and time will allow to get your equipment ready
for the event.  Try to get as many to help as possible, the more the
merrier.  Pot lucks/beer busts can attract a lot of help.

 Coordination should be made with the Crown to determine Their attendance
and possible needs.
 All the above is an on going process of checking and rechecking.   Just
because it seems to be going well doesn't mean it is.  You may have to
re-evaluate your plan several times before the event.   Don't be afraid to
ask questions or for help.

DURING THE EVENT If you've done your planning and coordination well, this
phase of the event should be easy and a joy.  If not, well, it may be a bit
bumpy.

 Site Setup - There's a lot to do here.  If someone doesn't show for a job,
don't be afraid to ask someone else to do it.  Since most folks work on
Fridays, don't be surprised at a small amount of people who can help setup
early in the day.
 The SCA signs should be one of the first things to go out.
 If possible, try to get the ranges set up and ready as early as possible on
the setup day so early arrivals may compete.

 Monitoring Class Schedule and the Event - This may be easier said than
done.  If you've ever ran an event, you know the things that can go right
and wrong.  If you haven't this could be a real joy or pain.  Be prepared,
stay calm and try to remember, this is, suppose to be fun.
 Site Tear-Down and Cleanup - This may be the hardest or the easiest part of
the event depending on the amount of help you have.  Since every body is
there you may have a lot of help; or, they may just pack up and leave only
the core workers that each group always has.  Above all leave the site
cleaner than when you got it.

AFTER THE EVENT  and the site has been cleared, the materials are put away
and your car is unpacked; get a good nights sleep.  You are not finished
with the event yet, but at this point everyone needs a rest.

 Although the repairing, cleaning and returning equipment part of the event
happens at the end of the event, it must be planned for in the beginning.
This part is perhaps harder to get done than getting ready for the event.
The sense of urgency is gone, so it tends to get put off.

 As they say, it's not finished till the paper work is done.  Get your after
event reports in as soon as possible.
 Be sure to thank your group.

GENERAL ADVICE
 1).  Delegate as much as possible; then check on your people periodically.

 2). There are several people that should be selected soon after the
autocrat is: co-autocate(s), feastocrat and if there is to be a proceedings
an editor.

 3). As soon as you become the autocrat start your paper trail.  Keep all
receipts and document everything you do.  This is not only CYA but will help
you remember what happened when you start writing your after event report.

 4).  Get with your Seneschal and Reeve as soon as you can to get the funds
for the event.

 5).  When you put the schedule of the event together,  make sure that you
and your co-autocrats are not all occupied at the same time.  One or more of
you need to be available to handle situations.

 6).  When the date of the event is set, use what is called "backward
planning" to schedule your event preparations.  To use "backward planning",
start with the date of the event and work back to the current date.  Believe
it or not, this method is easier.