ARCH - Target Faces

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Mon Sep 18 14:15:01 PDT 2000

Cantley_Tim at emc.com said:
> Wilim,
>
> Where did you get your 5 color targets from?
>
> In service,
> Laird Sean of Argyll
> Loch Ruadh Archery Marshal

You can get the 5-color 10-ring archery targets from almost any of the mail-
order or online archery catalogs.  They cost about $0.99 for targets printed
on paper, about $1.25 to $1.50 for TAG (heavy paper), and $1.90 for plastic
backed tag weight paper.

Recently here in Gates Edge we ordered about 50 targets in order to
experiment.

Paper targets from Three Rivers           $0.99 each
Paper Targets from Lancaster              $1.00 each
Tag Targets from Lancaster                $1.25 each
Tag targets from F/S                      $1.40 each
Plastic backed targets from Finnwood      $1.90 each

The 5-color FITA targets from Three Rivers, Lancaster, and Finnwood are all
from Maple Leaf and essentially identical. So order from whoever you like
best and normally do business with.

The targets from F/S are from Saunders and despite the fact that they are
more expensive they are not as good of a target.  The Saunders tag targets
are printed on 80# tag while the Maple Leaf are on 100# tag.

The plastic backed targets from Finnwood (produced by Maple Leaf) are top
notch and this is what we will be ordering from now on.  The plastic backed
are on are 100# tag so they are nice an heavy.  We see three advantages to
the plastic backing.

    1) They dont tear as easily.  When you pull arrows out
       they tend to make a nice round hole with little
       tearing and the targets last longer.

    2) They hold up to rain and moisture better.

    3) We glue our targets to cardboard before hanging
       them on the backstops and the plastic backed tagets
       are easier to work with and don't curl, bleed, or
       suck the mosture out of the glue the way the other
       targets do.

Even though the plastic backed targets cost nearly twice as much we like them
well enough that it is what we will be ordering from now on.

Links to all of these suppliers can be found on the Ansteorran archery pages
at http://archery.ansteorra.org

Finnwood prints a lot of his own targets and I wrote him today and asked him
if he would consider printing and carrying the period target faces for SCA
customers.

For those of you that were at the Royal Huntsman shoot this past weekend and
saw the animal targets I had I got all of those and many many more from
Finnwood.

In Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Costal regional Archery MArshal
Virtual Scribe to the Archery Marshallate
eadric at scabrewer.com