ARCH - UHMW blunt construction tips

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Fri Apr 20 16:28:13 PDT 2001

>From what I have seen when Fibreglass shafts break they basicly break all the fibres and leave a 'tuft' of fibres on each end.  They will not break to a sharp point the way a wooden shaft might.  The electrical tape helps keep that tuft of fibres from out of someones eyes, belly, hands... it can be a real pain when the fibres get on you as anyone who's done insulation can tell you.

It's like the rest of the safety debates.  Just be cause a broken shaft is unlikely doesn't mean we shouldn't protect against it, especially when there's a cheap, easy, solution for it.  Besides like I said  you can do some cool things with colored electrical tape and duct tape.

As to rounding the edges on the head off... some people have gone hog wild with it with out clear guidelines on how much rounding to do and basically presented a round impact surface.  Then they put the Smurf on it and it compresses down so much that it might as wel not be there.

secure the Smurf with Fibre tape but trust it's strength around the shaft to hold it on.  Little to no compression should be applied to the CCF.

As for striking surfaces, after rounding the edges it should still have a minimum flat straking surface of ~1".

Wilim, Who has made a few hundred UHMW arrows.