[Ansteorra-archery] Tournament format for Royal Huntsman

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sat Dec 15 09:08:25 PST 2001

To the Archers of Ansteorra goes Lord Eadric Anstapa send Greetings!

You have hopefully all heard by now that Their Royal Highnesses Aaron and
Britta have decided to choose their Royal Huntsman on January 19 and
Bonwicke 12th Night.

As is customary, the  tournament format has been decided by the outgoing
Royal Huntsman, Lord Fearghus MacKenna.  The format Fearghus has chosen was
used at a couple of events this fall and was very well received.

 The tournament will be a head-to-head elimination tournament.  Meaning that
there will be two archers on the firing line competing against one another.
One archer will be awarded a win and the other a loss.  We will plan on a
double elimination tournament but if there are too few archers then we can
go to a triple elim.

Each round will be distinctly different.  In no particular order here are
the planned tournament rounds.

Period  Target
     A "Period" (3-color Yellow-Green-White) target face at 20 yards.

Combat
     Ansteorran Legal Combat Arrows (this means with an APD)shot at
     a IKCAC style man target. Archers will have to wear hand protection
     on their bow hand but no other armor will be required.  Target will be
     at an undefined range.  Archers will not be required to use combat
     legal bows.  They can use any bow they like as long at it will safely
     shoot a legal combat arrow or bolt.

Hunt
     Animal Target at an undefined range.

Speed Round
     30 second speed round at a 5-color 60cm target.  Both crossbows
      and handbows are limited to as many arrows/bolts as they can fire
      in 30 seconds.

Rounds  5+  Champions/Crowns Choice
    The current Royal Huntsman or Their Majesties will choose the format
    they feel will be the best test for the remaining archers.  We will have
    a number of different ring targets, animal targets, and the combat
    targets to choose from.  We may not want to use a "target" at all and
    just shoot at a blank backstop and do a string shoot and check for
    grouping and consistency.

FINAL ROUND     Crowns Choice.
     Their Majesties will choose the format of the final round to determine
     their champion.

Please start spreading the word to all of your local archers.  I hope to see
you all there.

Always in Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com