ARCH - What If

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Fri Mar 23 10:31:24 PST 2001

Quoting Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net>:
> Why does Archery deserve a GoA level award? Why
> doesn't Equestrian? Why do we feel like we are being
> shunned when there are plenty of other areas that are
> fringe like us as well? Until we are more visible, we
> can't expect to be more visible even with a GoA level
> award. It is us that makes the difference not a piece
> of regelia or a title.

I don't agree that Archery is a fringe activity.  I
presided over a 30-entrant archery tourney last fall,
and I look forward to a larger one this fall.  I have
been to events for years at which the number of archers
exceeded the number of fighters.

The question to be answered is not, "do we NEED a grant-
level archery award?"  I don't think we do.  I think
archery is thriving in Ansteorra without it.  But the
real question is, "does Ansteorra want to reward and
encourage excellence in archery-related activity
through the mechanism of a grant-level award?"  That's
a question on which reasonable people may differ, but
I'd like to see it.  I designed regalia for such an
award years ago.

- Galen of Bristol