ARCH - What If

Patrick J. Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Fri Mar 23 10:59:33 PST 2001

> Ok, despite being in the west kingdom, I am confused. Several people
> have brought this up, so I am not picking on Pet for this.
>
> Why does Archery deserve a GoA level award? Why doesn't Equestrian? Why
> do we feel like we are being shunned when there are plenty of other
> areas that are fringe like us as well? Until we are more visible, we
> can't expect to be more visible even with a GoA level award. It is us
> that makes the difference not a piece of regalia or a title.

Because archery plays a significant role for this Kingdom in Gulf Wars, and
is a recognized separate award activity in other Kingdoms.  I see lines of
archers at events shooting away from everyone else and say--"Who are they
and why do I never see them called into Court?"  I realize that "Ansteorra
stands alone" and gawd forbid we should let the way things work in other
Kingdoms ever influence us, but in this instance it would bring us more in
line with the rest of the Knowne World at those inter-Kingdom events like
Gulf Wars and Pennsic.  Plus, it is never wrong to recognize skill, honor,
and demeanor where ever you may find it.

Equestrian is working on their own solution to this problem.  It is my
understanding that they already have a proposal to go before the Crowns, or
are close to one.  Therefore they are in the same boat as the archers and
hence is a nonexample.

The last part is a chicken or the egg argument.  Does activity cause an
award to be created, or do awards spur on activity.  Both are correct, and
one does not have to be mutually exclusive of the other.  How visible was
Rapier before the White Scarf?  Yes it was visible, but most good gentles
did not get involved unless they were specifically interested via their
persona.  Once you created a Grant level award there was an increase in
Rapier activity and interest.  Why? Because the award validates in the eyes
of the populous that this is a valued portion of the game.  Something that
maybe they should try their hand at and see if they enjoy it.  Would that
matter in an altruistic perfect world?  No--because we don't live in an
altruistic perfect world.  Many of us tend to ignore awards and compete with
only ourselves, but that vision is not indicative of the Society as a whole.
For many, many, people in this game the Regalia and Title *ARE* what makes
the difference--whether I choose to agree with that position or not.

Am I below using that view of the world in order to further projectile
weapons in this Kingdom? Definitely not.  A wise man chooses whatever weapon
will best serve his goal in order to win the battle.

Finally, whether we choose to accept it or not, it's nice to have someone
say "Thank you, good job, we recognize what you have done".  This is a
volunteer organization mostly run by people's own interest and good will.
We loose nothing by recognizing merit in those interests.  An Archery award
diminishes no one and raises some as a waypost for those that follow behind
them.
It is that way for all awards--AoA to Peerage.  These are the tangible
signposts to many of what is expected to be a good member of the Society.

The geese as they flock to the south do not bear the burden of flight
individually.  The leader of the flock breaks the wind for those who fly
next to and behind them.  Just as those next to him break the wind for those
next to and behind them.  In the winter, the lead mare breaks a path through
the snows across the steppes so the rest of the herd, including the sick and
young, may have an easier path through the snow.   So it is with Peers and
Grants--each has a responsibility to break the snow for those who travel
behind them in their herd.  This would provide a mechanism for creating
those individuals who can break to snow drifts for the projectile community.

In the end, does the award or trinket make the man? No, the fire that burns
in their heart is the only measure of a person.  What it does do is turn
that fire into a beacon for those who choose to follow a similar path and
may have become lost upon the way.

......but then again, I have been known to be wrong :)

Pet.