ARCH - What If

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at mmcable.com
Fri Mar 23 14:41:54 PST 2001

Eadric said:
> As far as archery being a "fringe" activity, I would have to disagree.  At

Me, too!

Since there are only a few warranted marshals in the northern part of the
kingdom, I've had to coordinate my time with them on running archery
competitions.  There is a shoot at most events up here, and attendance runs
from five to twenty five.  I'd say that is about the turnout for the average
rapier list up here of a couple of years ago.

The difference is archery is not as central an activity.  No heralds, water
bearers, chirurgeons, and pavilions of swooning ladies.  It does not attract
as much attention or tie up as many esources at an event.  And by its nature
it is always done at the edge of a site, usually out of direct site from the
main activities.

But it is still there, with almost as many devoted direct participants as
the more martial arts.

As for an extra award, I'm afraid I'm more an heraldic purist in this.  We
give out too many different types of awards as is.  Instead of checking
someone to see if they have a "Sable Pheon", I'd rather ask them what they
got their Star of Merit for.  Someone who gets one of those is being
recognized by the Crown for their contributions to the Kingdom, and the
stories behind them are as wondrous and varied as their owners,

Not to say I wouldn't support one if the Crown put an award in place.  Just
that I'd rather use what we have, and use it more often.

Baron Ulf Gunnarsson
Namron archery marshal