ARCH - What If

Derek Wilson dwilson at dollar.com
Fri Mar 23 13:06:20 PST 2001

Well. I'm a newbie (9 months) but have been very active in Northkeep so let
me express how it appears to a new person coming in who is already an
accomplished mundane archer (albeit a long time ago). I have been biding my
time looking for what I wanted to focus on first within the SCA. I first
looked to archery as I am already fairly familiar with it as a modern sport.
After going to a few events and seeing the overall lack of participation
(never more than 5 to 10) and lack of recognition. I decided that I would
look elsewhere where a newbie could perhaps meet more people and quite
honestly be noticed more readily. It wasn't until I went to a War where I
actually saw archers do anything besides meet in groups of 5 or 10 and shoot
target. So that is why I have come full circle and decided to become
northkeeps marshall and try and foster more archery in the northkeep area.
But it took nine months and a war to reach this point. I was all set to get
into Rapier or HW so that I could feel like I was a part of this dream
called the SCA. Had there been more recognition/participation  I would have
had no doubts and would have already been the archery marshall in the
Northkeep area. So do I think there should be more recognition, yes....GoA
maybe not....These other awards I know nothing about (Centurion/Falcon ect.)
So perhaps it is a case of archers not promoting themselves enough with the
existing awards I quite honestly don't know. All I do know is that at this
point in time there is little to draw new people to the Archery side of the
SCA except personal exploration. And that is the "problem", participation
will breed recognition, and when enough current awards are being given to
archers a GoA level will be created whether we desire on or not....

Diethelm Waltorfer

Derek B. Wilson