[Ansteorra-archery] Tassels

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Nov 28 14:04:20 PST 2001

"Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp)"
<Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil> said:

> One more question.  Is the away score counting in the average even if it's
> not one of the top 3 scores for the shooter?  For example, say, I shoot in
> the open handbow RRs of 65, 83, 74, and an away RR of 30.  Is my average
> figured by 65+83+74=222/3=74=Forrester; or, 83+74+30=187=62.3=Yeoman?

In the example above you would be a Forester. (assuming the database
calculates things right)

Your Three highest scores within the last 365 days regardless of where they
are shot are used to compute your average.  Then we check to see if any of
the scores shot within the last 365 days are away scores and if there is at
least one we assign a rank based on the average.  Your away scores do not
necessarily get used in computing the average.  Only if they are some of the
three highest scores will they affect your average.

We could do it the other way but it would be more complex and take a little
more work.  It just seemed uncessary to go that far.

While we are at it, there is a mistake in the ranks displayed online that is
entirely my fault.  It is a logic flaw in the formulas I wrote to calculate
the Averages and Ranks.

You will notice that there are some people with an average of 45 that are
listed as Bowman and some listed as Yeoman.  This is a problem with the
rounding.  If someone has a calcuated average of 44.6 then it is getting
rounded up to the next full number and their average is displayed as 45.
However, when the Rank calculation is done it looks at the raw average of
44.6, recognizes that thay have not yet acheived an average of 45 or better,
and assigns a rank of Bowman.  This error could crop up on any of the
rank/score boundaries.  Thank You to Ironwyrm who noticed the problem this
week asked asked what was going on.  I'll get a copy of the current working
database back from Iaen this week and get it fixed.

I am going to have it display the average to one decimal point.  Thus an
average of 44.9999 would be displayed as a 44.9 and assigned a rank of
Bowman.

In Service,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com