[Ansteorra-archery] Tassels

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Nov 28 12:54:22 PST 2001

<Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil> said:
> Do the tassels have any particular specifications?  Is there a particular
> size, number of strands, length etc.?  Dose the shade of color make a
> difference?

Colors are pretty easy.  I would try to match the Target Colors as closely as
possible.  For green just use yer favorite green.  Basically use kinda what
most people would call primary colors.

As far as size, number of strands, etc there is not real specification.

Remember that an Archers Tassel is a traditional piece of equipment used to
wipe mud, grim, and moisture for your arrows and hands.  Traditionally it
was made of "green" wool ("green" meaning unprocessed wool that still had the
lanolin in it).  It should be large enough to get the job done (and is
noticed) but not so large that it gets in the way.

There area couple of UK archery shops that you can find online that still
sell tassels.  Also via the Ansteorran Archery Pages in the Manuals and
Reference Section there is a link to "The Essentials Of Archery" written in
1942 by LE Stemmler.  The Archery Tackle section speaks briefly of tassels
and has an illustration of a traditional tassel.

A Lady here in our group was using a empty video tape jacket to wind the cord
around and it was a nice size.  She had an old Disney folding jacket that
the tapes fit inside.  She would open the jacket and loop the yarn through
however many passes she needed.  The she could close the jacket and clamp
it down on the yarn while she was cutting and tying the tops together.  It
looked like it was working pretty good and she set on the floor in my living
room one night and cranked out quite a few of them in a very short period of
time.

> Also are we recocking the score board this year, or does it continue on?

Nope. As far as the dates go... The season never ends.

Just keep submitting scores.  Any scores older than 365 days will be removed
from the database and will therefore no longer count towards an average.  If
it gets to the point where you haven't shot 3 scores in the past 365 days or
don't have an away score recorded in the past 365 days then obviously you
will no longer have an official average.  Once you earn a tassel it is yours
to keep for ever even if you no longer have an official average in that
division.

Last year was only a half-year since we didn't start recording scores till
late June.  While we were getting started we made a lot of mistakes which we
learned from.   We wiped the slate clean and set everybodys average back to
Zero on January 1, 2001 just so we could make sure there were no mistakes.
It was a real manual system and the database wasn't structured where we could
grow and manage.  There were also lots of problems with getting scores
submitted properly and we were worried that a lot of the data was bad.
Therefore need just needed to start fresh.  I talked to all of the
scorekeepers in the other kingdoms to learn how they are doing things and we
moved on from there.

Today the system is much less manual particularly is the marshal submitting
the scores uses the online form.  There are still a lot of improvements to be
made but hopefully I will have the majority of those done by the first of the
year.  Iaen does all the day-to-day work but I am doing all the development.
Hopefully we will never again have to reset all the averages back to zero.

Always in Service,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com