[Ansteorra-archery] Current TI

Carolle M Cox hpockets at gte.net
Wed Apr 24 20:18:43 PDT 2002

Caelin, my opinion is as follows (the short version, naturally)

1.  We Still have many people whose finances are iffy - just like we did
when we all joined as college students.  Raising the dues will drive these
folks out.
2.  I pay subscription fees for the Black Star, The Steppes Letter, and the
Gazette.  I buy Anachronists.  Don't know about the rest of you, but TI is
the only thing i 'get' besides my blue card.  For me, this cost structure is
no problem.  For the above-mentioned individuals it is going to be yet
another blow to have to pay for TI, and a good-sized crowd never sees the
rest of the publications.
3.  If we are to continue welcoming people from all walks of life, as we
have for over 30 years, then it behooves us to keep costs down, both in
event fees and in membership dues. It would be a shame to be seen as a
rich-man's toy, or elitist, after all these years.
4.  So the only thing i see possible is to look again at the expenses of
running the Milpitas office, and see what can be done to streamline, move,
whatever is practical and cost-effective.  I wouldn't cut staff - it already
takes plenty long enough to get things done up there.
5.  One thing that would help a lot - get the BOD out of California, the
most litigious state in the Union.  Our insurance costs are flat outrageous.
Both Scouting organizations offer activities as 'dangerous' as fighting,
and, believe me, the insurance costs much less per capita than ours does.
Why?  sue-happy folks plus a state where almost everyone who sues comes away
with a pot of gold.

Shorn of all the 'polite' words used to BOD, you're seeing pretty much what
they got.

Gerita