[Ansteorra-archery] A Look Back at 2002

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Tue Dec 3 09:17:33 PST 2002

>I'd hoped we'd be further along then this.  I'm very disappointed.
>
>Gilli
>Shoot more arrows.  You're bound to hit something.

With all due respect, Gilli, are you on crack?

The Archery community in Ansteorra made such strides this year that I am in awe.  Shall we review the year 2002?

First, and foremost, the Archery community has accomplished a goal it has been struggling to get for years!  The Arcus Majoris, instituted in January of 2002 by TRM Aaron I & Britta I has raised our kingdom's greatest archers to equal precedence with those greatest warriors of Rapier.  This is no small feat, and was in fact the FIRST discussion that this list ever took up, in it's early days.

Second, the Royal Huntsman is not struggling to be held, but rather there are now arguements about if the Tourney was widely advertised enough.  The community has made many of the moves necessary to ingrain this into the expectations of incoming Crowns.

Third, a successful and fairly well attended Academy of the Bow was held as an independent event.  The Crown Prince of the time attended and watched, truly watched, his Huntsman shoot that occured there.  His own son made the finals, obviously a man who encourages archery.

Fourth, the Order of the Rose held an Archery tournament to choose their own Archery champion!  The attention of this Order, who's very purpose is to forward genteel arts and behvaior, is not something to be taken lightly.  Their champion, Lord Ulrich, comported himself very well upon the range and wears that medallion with pride, and rightly so.

Fifth, there will be an Archery War Point at Gulf Wars!  This is incredible, and beyound what even the most ambitous archery advocate might have expected at the start of the year.

Sixth, the archery community has grown!  More people are shooting!  More people are having fun!  This is perhaps the most important step of all!

We have not made great strides, and perhaps taken steps back in the IKAC and IKCAC.  But I doubt very much that if I promised you all of the above on Jan 1, 2002, at the cost of not being ranked at ALL in the IKAC and IKCAC that there is a single archer that would have turned down that deal.

Rejoice, good archers, you are a growing force!  And while you are doing so, think hard about what you'd like to be on the list of accomplishments at the end of 2003!

Timothy of Glastinbury