[Ansteorra-archery] Fiberglass Combat Arrows

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Jan 17 12:44:11 PST 2002

Walter Davis <walterd at lcii.net> said:

> --
> Greetings All,
>
> I need the latest scoop on combat arrows.  Do fiberglass shafts have to be
wrapped with strapping tape?  Is a full length shaft (30") too long or can it
be used "as is"?  Does the APD have to be covered with duct tape or is the
strapping tape enough?  Are the up to date requirements for combat arrows
posted somewhere?  What have I forgot to ask?

> Thanks,
> Oudoceus
> --

Greetings Oudoceus,

Fibreglaas shafts do not have to be covered with "strapping" tape but have to
be covered with TAPE.  Electrical tape is just fine.  I have confirmed this
with Sir Jon the former Society Archery Marshal who pioneered and approved
the use of fibreglass shafts.  The purpose of the tape on the wooden arrows
is to hold the peices and splinters of a broken shaft together and this isn't
a problem on fibreglass shafts.  The purpose of the tape on fibreglass shafts
is to keep the little tiny fibreglass splinters that are always present on
fibreglass rod from injuring an ungloved hand while handling and inspection.

Your arrow should not measure longer than 28 inches from the base of the
throat of the nock to the base of the blunt.  The nocks you use and the
blunts you use will determine the length you need to cut your shaft.  When I
use overnocks and Baldar Blunts I can cut the raw shaft to about 29.5" and
have it just under 28" from throat of nock to base of blunt.

The tape required on the APD depends on the design you are using.  More is
not always better.  If you put too much tape on then it can possibly hamper
inspection and will also add extra weight that is likely unwanted.  Go to
Society Archery Marshals web page and follow the links to the sites for the
Approved APD designs and the APD test site.  The APD test site is probably
the best place to go to get links and details of the approved designs.

Always in Service,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com