[Ansteorra-archery] Details

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sun Jan 20 18:52:49 PST 2002

> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 08:40:32 -0600 "Bob Dewart" <gilli at seacove.net>
> writes:
>
> Grant level right?
>
> Is it a polling order?
>
> Gilli

While Companionship in the Order carries with it a Grant of Arms and
precedence equal to the Centurians, White Scarves, Irises, and Stars of
Merit, it is my understanding that it is not a true polling order.

I am led to believe that the wording says that the Crown "may" consult with
the Order.  True polling orders would say that the crown "shall" consult.

By "Tradition" and not "Law" the White Scarves and Centurians have become
polling orders.  Look in the current printing of Kingdom law that you all
recently received on page 60 in Section Q.4.iii and you will see that as of
that printing the order of the White Scarf is not by law a polling order.

Look in Section T.4.iii and you will see that the Centurians have the same
wording meaning that they are a polling order by "Tradition" and not by
"Law".

I believe that the wording for the Order of the Arcus Majoris of Ansteorra
is essentially the same regarding consultation.  It will be up to the
initial members of the Order to make sure that similarly strong tradition is
developed for our archery order.

As I have said in the past while Policy may never supercede Law, Tradition
is often stronger than Law.

Now, at Coronation one of the last pieces of business that Duncan and
Larissa performed was to re-read the Order of the White Scarf into law from
what was said to be an old original copy of the charter of that order.  I
cant say for sure but I think I remember from the reading the wording was
that the Crown "shall" consult the order on prospective new members.  This
would make it by law a true polling order.  We will have to look and see
when it is printed in the Black Star.

Always in Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com