[Ansteorra-archery] Details

Rumil Fletcher rumil at prodigy.net
Mon Jan 21 06:28:39 PST 2002

>And while I would never want to argue with our Kingdoms Zodiacus Herald on
>matters of titles,  our current Kingdom Law does say in
>Q.1.iii (page 59 of the current printing):
>
>"Companions of the Order shall be entitled to use the prefix title, 'Don' or
>'Dona', and within Ansteorra, these titles shall be reserved to Companions
>of the Order."

Quite right.  In Ansteorra that is true.  But it is not a title
registered through the College of Heralds that only the White Scarves
society-wide are entitled to.  Ansteorra has a strong light weapons
tradition, and its traditions and privileges are esteemed and
protected.  So it would be foolish for someone to use the title "Don"
in Ansteorra who was not a White Scarf.  But in, say, Calontir, where
they have no rapier combat, that would be another matter.

But that is getting off-topic.  I can't think of any tradition in
period where skilled archers had a particular title other than "Hey
you!"  Perhaps someone with more knowledge of archery-heavy cultures
like the Norse or Mongols could answer that better.

Rumil