[Ansteorra-archery] AoB is Coming!!

Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp) Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil
Tue Mar 19 12:38:38 PST 2002

That "Touch Kill" thing probably needs a bit or redefining. Probably along
the lines of, "Touched in an area that is a normal legal place to be hit."
Therefore, 1 inch above the wrist to the finger tips and 1 inch above the
knee down to the bottom of the feet would not be a legitamate target.

Rules, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Speaking of rules, perhaps at AoB we can get a look at those new Kingdom
ones.  What do you all think?

Gilli
Carolle M Cox <hpockets at gte.net> said:

> > The questions weren't nessecarily directed at our combatants.
>
> Ah!  I'll try then, as soon as i dig them back out.
> >
> > However, it's unforunate that those kind of things still happen.  Where
> they
> > from our folks?
>
> Evidently a good few were, unfortunately.
>
> Gerita

As I mentioned earlier I marshalled every battle that had combat archery in
it and I was focusing my attention on the archers.  I never saw or heard
anything directed towards the archers from the general combantants that I
thought was overly hostile.

Certainly there are people who dont much like getting killed 30 times in a
ressurection battle by archers.  Do you blame them?  Would their feelings be
different if they had been killed 30 times in a row by the same sheildman?

Half way through the ravine battle Ld. Giotto fi Giovanni, a Squire to Sir
Henri and a great friend of mine who was fighting as a spearman walked past
me on the way to res point and said "We have to do something about those
Trimaran crossbows!  I have already been killed 16 times and every time by
crossbowmen!"  There was no ugliness in is statement, in fact if anything it
was a bit of grudging respect.  I heard many similar statements but never
was
there ugliness.  Giotto has decided that he is going to take a crossbow next
year and spend the first part of the battle trying to keep their archers in
line.

I also saw many archers getting salutes, pats on the back, and praise.  I
saw
a Kings Archer presented on the field, and member of the Arcus Majoris
created in Ansteorran Court.  In Grand Court the Meridian Order of Split
Arrow was reopened and several members inducted (an order of High Merit and
polling order for archery acheivement).  There was praise and respect shown
to the archers.

As I said before, from my viewpoint the Trimaran archers were MUCH more
effective.  They had better tactics, they worked better as units and as
individuals, and they seemed to be hitting their marks more often and it is
bit natural that our spearmen have a little bit of a sour taste.

Although I do think the Trimaran archers are good people, well trained, and
were more effective I think they push and skirt the edges of many of our
imposed limits.  For instance in the field and ravine battles they get right
up in the line behind their own sheildmen and snipe at our spearmen.  I am
not sure that at times there where not shots taken at opponents within the
15
minimum distance and I know there are many shots taken very close to that
limit.   I was not at Gulf War X last year but I know there were many
complaints of crossbows hitting too hard.  We know the causes of some of
those complaints (bows near VERY near the legal power limit and some poorly
constructed heads) but one of my observations this year was that part of
those complaints was likely due to the fact that the Trimaran archers get
CLOSE.

Now, let me mention the SINGLE act of prejudice towards/against archers that
I did observe.  This was the issue that came up with the reinterpretation of
what constitutes a "Touch Kill".  I did personally witness some indivudals
say basically "Archers cant have it both ways.  You can either be Full
Contact, or not."  In other words there seemed to be people who felt cheated
that they could not HIT archers but could be hit by archers."

By the same token I spoke with a fair number of Knights and Nobles of
Ansteorra who also disagreed with this reinterpretaion of the "Touch Kill".
Countess Octavia, should be given credit for doing what she could to try and
get this corrected and HRM Aaron was also on our side and he spoke with the
Merdian King about this issue.  Unfortunatly there was not time to get the
decision reversed and while it upset many archers and took a little bit of
the fun out of the final day of battles for archers I do not think it
changed
the outcome of the battles.  This should not dull what was otherwise a great
war and I am hopefull we will have this worked out before next year.

Rock - Paper - Scissors

In Service,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com