[Ansteorra-archery] AoB is Coming!!

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Mar 19 12:45:25 PST 2002

Eadric Anstapa (eadric at scabrewer.com) said something that sounded like:
> Although I do think the Trimaran archers are good people, well trained, and
> were more effective I think they push and skirt the edges of many of our
> imposed limits.  For instance in the field and ravine battles they get right
> up in the line behind their own sheildmen and snipe at our spearmen.  I am
> not sure that at times there where not shots taken at opponents within the 15
> minimum distance and I know there are many shots taken very close to that
> limit.   I was not at Gulf War X last year but I know there were many
> complaints of crossbows hitting too hard.  We know the causes of some of
> those complaints (bows near VERY near the legal power limit and some poorly
> constructed heads) but one of my observations this year was that part of
> those complaints was likely due to the fact that the Trimaran archers get
> CLOSE.

I will speak to some of this, because:

- I am a close in archer whenever possible. I even remember standing on
  someone's back at gulf war to shoot through the windows at defenders.

- I was hit by one of those crossbows at greater than 30'. A lovely
  bruise that I have not taken from anything else and while I have been
  hit with excessive force on the field, I have never been hit that hard
  by rattan.

While there were lots of questionable heads, experimental heads, etc., I
don't think they were the main cause of the concerns last year.

The largest factor for pain in my opinion was the bow. Before they were
pulled from the field, I saw those bows shooting at *flat* trejectory for
more than 40' before hitting something. My bow at 5 inch pounds under
max, can't do that. (Nor can Baroness Michelle's which is 75lbs at 8",
which is 600 inch pounds.) I think the change of a maximum draw of 75lbs
is a good solution to this issue - without going to much higher tech
methods for measuring speed off the string.

> Now, let me mention the SINGLE act of prejudice towards/against archers that
> I did observe.  This was the issue that came up with the reinterpretation of
> what constitutes a "Touch Kill".  I did personally witness some indivudals
> say basically "Archers cant have it both ways.  You can either be Full
> Contact, or not."  In other words there seemed to be people who felt cheated
> that they could not HIT archers but could be hit by archers."

I agree. Except at Gulf War, I am a full contact archer. Hit me damnit.

Ciao,