[Ansteorra-archery] Gulf Wars, Touch Kills, etc. was: AoB is Coming

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Mar 19 13:47:41 PST 2002

As usuall much of this is opion only and everyone take it with a grain of
salt.

Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> said:
> The largest factor for pain in my opinion was the bow. Before they were
> pulled from the field, I saw those bows shooting at *flat* trejectory for
> more than 40' before hitting something. My bow at 5 inch pounds under
> max, can't do that. (Nor can Baroness Michelle's which is 75lbs at 8",
> which is 600 inch pounds.) I think the change of a maximum draw of 75lbs
> is a good solution to this issue - without going to much higher tech
> methods for measuring speed off the string.

I wont argue this.  I beleive 75# is probably a good top-end limit for combat
crossbows and completely sufficient to get the job done.

> > Now, let me mention the SINGLE act of prejudice towards/against archers
that
> > I did observe.  This was the issue that came up with the reinterpretation
of
> > what constitutes a "Touch Kill".  I did personally witness some indivudals
> > say basically "Archers cant have it both ways.  You can either be Full
> > Contact, or not."  In other words there seemed to be people who felt
cheated
> > that they could not HIT archers but could be hit by archers."
>
> I agree. Except at Gulf War, I am a full contact archer. Hit me damnit.

Amen Brother!  Hit me if you can.  I'll take a blow like any other fighter on
the field.  I dont like the idea of all archers being Touch Kill.  However, I
have to recognize that there there are people who are uncomfortable with the
idea of being hit with a stick and therefore personally my opinion is that we
should have Full Contact Archers AND Non Contact "White Diamond" archers.

The Full Contact Archers will have to recognize that they WILL get hit and
the White Diamonds will need to recognize that they will not be able to get
right up there in the battle lines without likely putting themselves within
10 feet of an enemy and therefore killing themselves (they would have to
remain back and snipe at a distance or commit to volley fire).

I have heard the argument that fighters dont have the time (or the focus and
attention) to be on the lookout for the white diamonds on the helment.  To
those I reply that we expect the fighters to look for a peice of Blue or
Yellow tape on the helment to determine sides that are a fraction of the size
of a white diamond .  Additionally as a marshal I was right there in the
thick of things (I marshalled the drop zones IN the tower during the fort
battle), I was NOT wearing a marshals tabard and I never got hit by accident.

In Service,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com