[Ansteorra-archery] New To The List....

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue May 28 16:55:12 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pug Bainter" <pug at pug.net>
> Ciana O'Hara (ciana_sca at yahoo.com) said something that sounded like:

> > 1)  I am wanting a crossbow.  Are they legal, if so, what poundage??
>
>   Yes and 600 inch pounds (draw weight x draw length must be less than 600
>   lbs). As example, if a bow has 8 1/4" draw with 72 lbs of draw weight it
>   would have 595 inch pounds. I know this one well since it is my
crossbow.

It is also worth noting that the current Gulf War standards limit crossbows
to a 75# draw  weight regardless of their draw length.  In other words you
can have a max 600 inch-pound crossbow and be legal in ANsteorra but if you
want to go to Gulf War with it then it also has to be 75# draw or less.

> > 3)  Could someone explain to me what is needed to make combat arrows
> > for crossbows??
>
>   That depends on what style you build. I recommend fiberglass with either
>   Baldar heads or UHMW heads. Doing it with the Baldar heads is easiest
>   for beginners and those who don't want to bother building things up.
>   (Make sure you buy them for the correct shaft type and size.) These
>   styles of crossbow bolts will survive combat situations and be
>   "practically" indestructable.
>
>   One important thing is to ensure you have approved APDs. You can find
>   this information at:
>
> http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/apd/designs/index.html
>
>   I personally am building mine with the 100PSI siloflex with internal
>   tab. The odd thing is that the links are currently not working. I am
>   contacting the SCA Webmaster and Society Marshal to get this resolved.

After inspecting Lord knows how many APDs at Gulf War I like the square-cut,
routed channel design the best for crossbows.  I think it is by far the best
design I have seen.  This design is very secure, safe, and strong.  For
handbows I think I would also like a routed channel design but ofcourse
angled of the front.

> > 4)  Who can authorize me for combat archery??
>
>   Any Authorizing Combat Archery Marshal. There is sometimes one in your
>   group, one for the region, and occassionally a few at-large marshals.
>   Unfortunately *I* am a little far south to authorize you except possibly
>   at Coronation.

Talk to your local archery marshal and have them setup a day with your
regional archery marshal and get a bunch of folks together and get
authorized.  Even if you don't have a combat archery authorizing marshal
local you can start with your local knights marshal or a local armored
combat authorizing marshal.   Start by getting you armor together, learning
the rules of engagement, and go ahead and get yourself authorized for
non-contact or armored combat.  Once you are authorized to be on the field
half of the process is already done and all that remains is to get you
authorized to use a bow in combat.

In Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com