[Ansteorra-archery] New To The List....

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue May 28 16:23:00 PDT 2002

Ciana O'Hara (ciana_sca at yahoo.com) said something that sounded like:
> So please excuse me I may ask silly questions.  :)

  No questions are silly, just people are silly.

> I have my armor complete, except for chest protection, not 100% sure it
> is necessary if I'm just doing combat archery.

  Chest protection is not required in Ansteorra. Some people like it,
  others do not.

> 1)  I am wanting a crossbow.  Are they legal, if so, what poundage??

  Yes and 600 inch pounds (draw weight x draw length must be less than 600
  lbs). As example, if a bow has 8 1/4" draw with 72 lbs of draw weight it
  would have 595 inch pounds. I know this one well since it is my crossbow.

> 2)  Also who makes good affordable ones??

  Affordable is up to the individual. I rather like Iolo's bows, as do
  many other Ansteorrans. You can find him at:

http://www.crossbows.net

  or contact Iolo directly via email at crossbow at jump.net.

  These will be period style crossbows that are combat legal (if you so
  specify) and can survive the trials and tribulations of war for *many*
  years. My current bow is something like 15 years old and I use it for
  static and combat archery.

> 3)  Could someone explain to me what is needed to make combat arrows
> for crossbows??

  That depends on what style you build. I recommend fiberglass with either
  Baldar heads or UHMW heads. Doing it with the Baldar heads is easiest
  for beginners and those who don't want to bother building things up.
  (Make sure you buy them for the correct shaft type and size.) These
  styles of crossbow bolts will survive combat situations and be
  "practically" indestructable.

  One important thing is to ensure you have approved APDs. You can find
  this information at:

http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/apd/designs/index.html

  I personally am building mine with the 100PSI siloflex with internal
  tab. The odd thing is that the links are currently not working. I am
  contacting the SCA Webmaster and Society Marshal to get this resolved.

> 4)  Who can authorize me for combat archery??

  Any Authorizing Combat Archery Marshal. There is sometimes one in your
  group, one for the region, and occassionally a few at-large marshals.
  Unfortunately *I* am a little far south to authorize you except possibly
  at Coronation.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "What about your Gods?
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   They're Defective!