[Ansteorra-archery] Since we are talking combat archery

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Fri May 31 11:26:05 PDT 2002

>> Where might I get a steady supply of shafts to make crossbow bolts for war?
>> I have seen fiberglass shafted arrows at stores and assume that those can be
>> cut and made into war bolts but is there another source that I can buy from?

Generally commercial fiberglass arrows are hollow shafts, which are not legal.  Ours must be solid fiberglass.

>A much more economical source for fiberglass rod is Gene Bolton Sales.
>They are actually a sign and flag company, but they these use fairly
>large quantities of 1/4" fiberglass rod and will sell it for a decent price.

Gene Bolton has changed their suppliers recently, and the new fiberglass they are selling is truly INFERIOR stuff.  I would strongly suggest speaking with Eadric Anstapa about a different supplier.  Eadric is on this list, and has been doing research of late for the Society Marshall for Combat Archery on fiberglass shafts.

Bolton's previous fiberglass used to be quite good, but in short they have a new supplier which is using more filler and less resin and because of this their shafts have been breaking in combat sometimes.  They certainly are still a legal source, but I wouldn't suggest them as a good investment.

Timothy of Glastinbury
Graduate of Eadric's 'Combat Arrow Materials' class at AoB