[Ansteorra-archery] What are things that are keeping out Combat Archers of the field?

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Oct 15 16:34:27 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rumil Fletcher" <rumil at prodigy.net>

> If you buy a commercially manufactured bow scale such as the
> inexpensive ones from FS or 3 Rivers, you need to normalize the
> scale.  You can do this by hanging a set of weights of known value on
> it.  I did this with mine and found that, regardless of what weight
> range I was looking at, it consistently read 2 pounds lighter than
> the actual weight.  So I wrote in large numerals on my scale "+2
> lbs." so I will remember to add 2 pounds to whatever the scale
> indicates.
>
> Rumil

Most of those bows scales can be adjusted.  The Cardoza  hand-held bow
scales you can reach in one end (may hafta take off the plastic cap) with a
nut driver and tighten or loosen the nut to get it adjusted.  I put 30
pounds of weight on mine and adjusted just before Gulf War this last year
and will do so again this year.  The Hanson hanging scales that are used to
weigh the heaver bows have an adjustment screw on the bottom clearly
labeled.

The Hanson  and Cardoza scales are supposed to be accurate +/- 1% across
their range once adjusted.  So If you adjust your scale before your event
you should never be off more than 1# on any legal bow or crossbow.

Regards

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com