[Ansteorra-archery] What are things that are keeping outCombatArchers of the field?

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Oct 18 16:39:40 PDT 2002

> Well, right now there is a rule in place that fighters either just plain
> ignore or they forget in the heat of battle. I don't think that
> it is a pipe
> dream to get to a 100% gaurantee of not being hit. I think that it is just
> going to take a while. We just need some really good ideas on how
> to prevent
> this from hapening. The pheons might just not be working as well
> as we would
> like them to work.

If you were standing with a group of archers in a clump away from
the fray of battle and you were all red-pheon combatants, then it
would be possible to get pretty close to 100%. But if you are 10
feet behind the shield wall and a charge is run against your line,
you are suddenly in a crush of people who are often hitting over
the top of their shields or into a group and cannot really see
who they are hitting very well.

That is just the way it is. To change it to what you want would
completely change the character of the battle. We want it to be
as authentic as possible within the many constraints we have
created for safety, but making it 99-100% safe for red-pheons
to never get hit is too big a change.

That is why they must wear full armor even though we try not to
hit them. You may wear as much armor as you like (as long as it is
at least the minimum requirement). You may also choose to only
draw your bow from the background or be part of a siege engine crew.
That usually avoids the crush.

> So, my question that might lead to a suggestion....Do archers
> usually stand
> in one place or do they move forward with the troops?

They usually move around. Where they move depends on whether they
are attached to a unit or not. If not, they move where they believe
they can get the best shots and stay alive. If part of a unit,
they move to where their commanders believe they will most benefit
the unit.

> Maria

Caelin on Andrede
Kingdom Chirurgeon, Ansteorra