[Ansteorra-archery] Title for our RH

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Sep 9 11:45:05 PDT 2002

Timothy Rayburn <timothy at elfsea.net> said:

> If I may suggest, as has been suggest before, the better title all in all
would be "Mistress of the Hunt".  It would make more sense if the other
former RHs followed with the title "Master of the Hunt" but it hardly
requires it.

> This title formation was used considerably in period, for just about any
position of importance and often by Royal Appointment.  For instance Henry I
(and his sucessors) named the head of his racing stables the "Master of the
Horse".

> Timothy
> Somesuch Unimportant Herald

Well we have so far referred to them as the Royal Huntsman and I thin
Huntswoman is a logical extention of that if Lady Moreg wishes.  I personally
see no reason to call it anything else.

Lets remember that although "Huntsman" may seem to be gender specific at look
in agood dictionary shows it is in fact gender neutral.  Webster defines
huntsman as:
1. One who hunts, or who practices hunting.
2. The person whose office it is to manage the chase or to look after the
hounds. --L'Estrange.

Terms like Hunstman, Warden, and Ranger are gender neutral and refer to the
office and not the person.  Until her recent death the Queen Mum was the
Warden of the Cinque ports.  There was no need to call her something thike
Wardeness.  As Lord Luighdah indicated our need to genderize such things is
both extremely modern and also largely American.

As far as Master or Mistress of the Hunt...   I have been told that there are
heralds and peers (perhaps not in Ansteorra but certainly in other kingdoms)
that object strongly to Master or Mistress being used in ANY title or form of
address that is not reserved for peers. I would prefer that we avoid that
argument if at all possible.

Regards,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa