[Ansteorra-archery] Wooden Shafts for Combat Arrows and Bolts

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Apr 4 13:19:18 PST 2003

Greetings to the Combat Archers of the Army of Heroes,

After a great deal of consulting with my deputies, the Kingdom Archery
Marshals of other kingdoms, the Society Combat Archery Marshal, and our own
Earl Marshal, we have decided to implement an Ansteorran policy of

"No NEW wooden shafted Combat Arrows or Bolts."

This means that if you currently own wooden shafted combat arrows and bolts
that you may continue to use them and to repair them as necessary but you
should not buy any new wooden shafts to replace shafts that are damaged or
broken.  Instead your replacement shafts should be good quality fiberglass
rod.

We believe that by implementing this policy we are making the game more
simple, more safe, and more economical.

Fiberglass shafts are as cheap as wooden shafts costing about 30 cents a
foot and in normal use they will essentially last forever.  The economic
advantages after just a single war are quite staggering.

Eventually, as there are no more wooden shafts left, it will simplify
training and inspection as there will be fewer styles of arrows/bolts,
blunts, and APDs to familiarize yourself with and inspect.

Finally, we will no longer be faced with any potential or perceived safety
issues arising from broken and splintered wooden shafts on the battlefield.

If you have any questions about this new policy please feel free to contact
your Regional Archery Marshal or contact me directly.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com