[Ansteorra-archery] Needing Fiber Glass Shafts

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Apr 7 19:08:34 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sjonna Whitsitt" <avalon_remembered at yahoo.com>

> Please, may I have the recommended types of fiberglass
> for combat shafts and a few contact points in the
> Texas/Oklahoma region.

I only recommend Extren 500 Fiberglass rod which is produced by the
Strongwell Corp.  http://www.strongwell.com

In my opinion this is by far the best, strongest, safest fiberglass rod that
we have tested.  You basically have to bend it into a pretzel to break it
(very hard to do) and if you do manage to break it there is a nice
long-fiber separation that hold the two pieces firmly together.  You can see
some results of some of my ongoing fiberglass rod testing at
http://www.baronbows.com/scafiles/shafts.htm

Here are some suppliers of "Extren" brand fiberglass rod in Ansteorra

Austin               Professional Plastics     512-833-9955
Austin               Ryan Herco                512-835-1770
Dallas               Ryerson                   214-637-4710
Dallas               McNichols                 214-349-3160
Houston              I.M. Pena                 281-442-8381
Pasadena(Houston)    Vee Industrial            713-472-5071

Oklahoma City        Cope Plastics             405-528-5697
Tulsa                Industrial Corrosion      918-493-2352
Tulsa                Ryerson                   918-428-3841

Even if these dealers do not have the rod in stock, Strongwell keeps the
product in stock at their warehouses and the dealer can get it from
Strongwell along with their next regular shipment.

Another acceptable manufacturer of fiberglass rod for combat arrows is
Maclean-Fogg.  I don't think it is as good as the "Extren" brand of rod but
it is still way better than much of the other stuff you will find.  Sir
Erika at Northstar Archery http://www.northstararchery.com sells cut to
length shafts made from Maclean fiberglass rod along with other combat arrow
building components.

> Also, I am interested in building a bunch of combat
> crossbows as a project for our group and I was
> wondering if there is a simple pattern for a basic
> crossbow out roaming in the Knowne World?

There are many good crossbow designs with the primary significant
differences being in the trigger/lock mechanisms.

Most steel prods come from Alchem Inc.  http://archery.ansteorra.org/   He
as some basic crossbow designs/plans on his web pages with several variants.
He has variant plans for both a rolling-nut and rising-pin notch lock
releases and variants for prods both bound-in and with irons.  Your
imagination can take you from there.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra