[Ansteorra-archery] Arrow materials

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Apr 9 16:36:35 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <Robinbowmaker at aol.com>
>  Well, I just browsed your Baronbows page and thought it was excellent.
>  I do have a few more questions though. What, in the Society's opinion,
>  constitutes a "safe" arrow shaft. Are we looking for something that will
>  NOT break under combat conditions, something that is UNLIKELY to
>  break under combat conditions, or something that will break but in a
>  SAFE manner? I need to have a better idea of what is being looked for
>  before I start spending time and money.
>  Robin

Well,  we certainly aren't looking for something that WILL break.  Why look
for something that you know WILL break?  We already have that.

Of course anything will break if abused enough but ideally we want something
that is as rugged as possible.

Any proposed alternatives definitely need break safely when they do break.

Please keep in mind that any proposed alternatives, no matter how safe they
are or how good they are, have no guarantee that they will be approved.
There is a big push right now from the Society Earl Marshal all the way down
to little pissant marshals like me to simplify and standardize the rules.
It is starting to become a big problem that the rules have fractured across
the society.  Across the kingdoms there are pretty radically different rules
in what is allowed and what isn't allowed regarding
construction/armor/weapons and big differences in combat conventions and
blow calling.  This is starting to get to be a problem at a interkingdom
events and when people move from one kingdom to the other.  At any
interkingdom event there are always big arguments about what is allowed
where and what will be allowed at the event and even once there are
agreements you always have the problems of people just doing anyway whatever
is allowed in their own kingdom.

There is no desire at the society level or just about anywhere else to make
things more complex.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra