[Ansteorra-archery] fletching

Talan Talan at hotpop.com
Thu Aug 7 23:41:35 PDT 2003

Ive recently decided to start making my own arrows but im having a
problem finding a store that sells reasonable priced feathers to fletch
with (I refuse to pay more for the fletching then i do for a dozen port
oxford ceder arrows!).

Ive got a few questions, so hear goes.

	1.  I have access to a _lot_ of chicken feathers, do they work
as well as commercial "turkey" feathers?
	2.  If they do, how hard is it to tell if the feather is right,
or left wing?
	3. How do i best go about cutting the feathers to "fletching
shape" baring in mind i want to be as period as possible.
	4. If they are not, where can i buy some feathers _cheap_.
	5. One fletching on the arrow is called the "cock" feather, ive
been told this is a tail feather and has no natural "curve" to it, does
this mean i have to get a different feather for the cock feather, or is
it just down to the angle that feather is fletched?

Sorry for all the questions :P.

Talan - Talan at hotpop.com
Kingdom of Ansteorra.
Shire of Stone Bridge Keep.