[Ansteorra-archery] corkscrews...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sun Dec 14 17:41:38 PST 2003

LD.BLACKMOON (ld.blackmoon at gbronline.com) said something that sounded like:
> ok, this is probably going to be a stupid question ...
> but , i just made my first 1/2 dozen crossbow bolts , from old 11 /
> 32 arrows,

What spine weight (hopefully 35/40# or higher)? Were they straight?
Have any nicks/splits in the wood? How long? Sealed? What materal? *wink*

> using 4" parabolic fletching .

Spiral or straight, what degree of off-set from front to back?

> and every last one of them has a severe corkscrew every time i fire it ...
> so ...

Just to make sure I got it right, you are talking about a large looping
motion going to the target. Not a nice tight spiral.

> a: what did i do wrong ???
> b: how do i fix it ???
> c: what causes it ???

I'm not sure all the aerodynamics of it, but I've found that when I use
longer fletches I had this issue a lot more. I use no longer than 3"
parabolic fletches.

As well, getting the right length of shaft and weight of head is critical.
This is unfortunately trial and error with some crossbows. When in doubt,
go with a longer rather than a shorter bolt as they will fly better. I
definitely never go under 14" and some say 20" is "ideal".

How thick is your string? Is it at least 1/2 the thickness of your bolt?
Are you using a peg style crosbow? Is the bolt at the right spot to get
pushed forward by the string?

Are you cocking evenly? You have to make sure to pull evenly with both
hands or the bolt will pull left or right depending.

This may be more questions than answers, but they are all questions that
make you look at the bow and bolt more accurately.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "What about your friends?
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   They're Defective!